News and Events
Abdon welcomes visitors for walking and cycling, but please make sure you park in the Village Hall car park and not on the verges or in the passing places. For hundreds of free walks to download and print plus details of all the walking clubs in the country and loads more information visit https://www.walkinginengland.co.uk/shropshire/
Abdon and Heath Parish:
- 8th March to 29th April 2021 - Road Closure: Hillside to Upper House Junction, Abdon (via Boundary Gate Farm). Western Power Distribution works for upgrade to a section of the underground mains from Hillside to Earnstrey Hill House, holes and trenching in carriageway for reinforcement scheme. The diversion plan is attached below or see: https://one.network/?tm=120002486
- 14th January 2021 - Abdon and Heath Parish Council meeting. Minutes attached below.
- 23rd December: New Planning Application Reference: 20/05219/FUL (validated: 23/12/2020). Address: Proposed Barn Conversion Adj 4 Brookhampton, Holdgate, Shropshire. Proposal: Conversion of barn to form one dwelling; erection of detached, part open fronted double garage; formation of vehicular access with visibility splay and installation of gates; installation of package treatment plant (resubmission). Applicant: Mrs Rothney (Kingscroft, 4 Brookhampton, Holdgate, Shropshire, TF13 6LN). View online
- Support Abdon Village Hall on Amazon Smile and Easy Fundraising:
- Shopping with Amazon? AmazonSmile will make a donation to Abdon Village Hall - If you purchase items through Amazon Smile they will donate 0.5% of the net purchase price (excluding VAT, returns and shipping fees) of eligible purchases to the charity. AmazonSmile is the same Amazon you know. Same products, same prices, same service. Support Abdon Village Hall by starting your shopping at https://smile.amazon.co.uk/ch/522472-0
- Shopping anywhere else? Use #easyfundraising to raise donations for Abdon Village Hall - When you sign up as a supporter, 4,400 shops and sites will donate for free, every time you shop online. This includes all the big names like eBay, John Lewis & Partners, Argos, ASOS, Expedia, M&S, Just Eat and many more!?https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/abdonvillagehall
- Corvedale News - The Corvedale News reverted to printed copies in October 2020. If you would like to subscribe please contact your nearest Distributor (see list in September Corvedale News attached below). Alternatively, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Annual cost is £7 for this year.
Coronavirus (Covid-19) Help and Information:
- Every GP practice across Shropshire will have access to the vaccines against COVID-19 by the end of January. Vaccinations will be administered by groups of GP practices, known as primary care networks. This means people will soon be receiving their vaccine closer to home, alongside the national vaccination sites, the already operational centres (which include the hospital hubs at Royal Shrewsbury and Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt in Gobowen), and three larger vaccination centres opening in Shropshire in February in Shrewsbury, Ludlow and North Shropshire. You will be contacted by your GP practice to book your vaccination and you will be advised where you need to go. Please do not contact your practice about the vaccine before then. So far, over 27,000 doses of the vaccine have been administered across Shropshire and Telford & Wrekin. Other ambitions:
- All care home residents and staff are set to receive their vaccination by Monday 25th January.
- All over 80s, over 70s, those who are Clinically Extremely Vulnerable and health care workers to receive their vaccination by mid-February.
- Shropshire Council Covid-19 Helpline - Telephone: 0345 678 9028, Website: www.shropshire.gov.uk/coronavirus/
- Shropshire Council help and support during lockdown - including: testing, mental health, financial support, free school meals, help getting food delivered, business grants etc.
- Shropshire Council services during lockdown - most are running this lockdown including: Household recycling centres, country parks and green spaces, outdoor play areas, libraries are offering a click and collect service visit www.shropshire.gov.uk/libraries/clickcollect
- Corvedale Helping Hands - If you, or anyone you know of, are in need of a 'helping hand' and would like to take advantage of these kind offers of assistance, please feel free to contact any of the people listed in the Corvedale News Helping Hands page attached below.
- Coronavirus we're help to help. See useful contacts list attached below.
- Community Reassurance Update from Shropshire Council – December 2020. Attached below.
- Foodbanks, benefits, housing support and more: find all the info on the Shropshire Larder Website. As the recession deepens, more people are losing their jobs and facing hardship. It is vital that people in Shropshire know where to get help. The Shropshire Food Poverty Alliance has created resources for people and organizations in Shropshire to find advice and support: Shropshire Larder (shropshirelarder.org.uk) - is the most comprehensive directory of services for people living in Shropshire on a low budget. It has information on how to access a foodbank or community food project, and how to eat well on a budget. It also covers how to get support with benefits, housing, and debt. See poster attached below.
- Shropshire Newsroom - all the latest news and advice from Shropshire Council.
- Latest Government updates about COVID-19, visit www.gov.uk/coronavirus
- Are you looking for work? See Shropshire Council Enable work Routes Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/EnableServices/ and website at: https://enableservices.co.uk/ which provides more in-depth information about our service.
Medical Help and Advice:
- NHS: Advice for everyone
- NHS: Advice for people at higher risk
- Anyone with coronavirus symptoms who needs medical advice should use the dedicated NHS 111 COVID-19 service online www.111.nhs.uk/COVID-19.
Regular events - cancelled for the time being.:
- Church Updates - Please see the latest Corvedale News or Corvedale Parishes Facebook page. If you are not on Facebook you can Google Corvedale Parishes and see the postings.
- Latest Parish Council minutes click here...
- Latest Planning Applications click here...
- Brown Clee Meditation Group - every Tuesday evening 7pm in Abdon Village Hall. All are welcome at no cost. A leaflet is available from Brown Clee Surgery.
- Coffee morning - last Saturday each month in Abdon Village Hall 10.30am to 12.30pm, except for December.
- UFO (Un Finished Objects) craft morning - 2nd Saturday each month at Abdon Village Hall 10.30am to 12.30pm. Bring along your unfinished projects. Join us and learn a new craft skill. Join us and teach your craft skills to someone else. Please supply your own materials. Please make a donation for refreshments. Phone Penny 712530 or Margaret 712296.
- Church services - second and fourth Sunday of each month at St. Margaret's Church, Abdon. See the St. Margaret's Church page for details.
- Parish Council meetings - usually the last Thursday in January, April, July and October in Abdon Village Hall. See the Parish Council page for details.
- Women's Institute - second Wednesday each month at Clee St.Margaret Village Hall. See the Women's Institute Page for details.
Abdon and Heath Parish Council - Marquee for hire.