Abdon District Community Wildlife Group
We are now part of the county-wide family of Community Wildlife Groups. More information about these groups can be found at: www.shropscwgs.org.uk
News and Events - July 2021:
- Sunday 4th July - Abdon Wildlife Group Moth Morning 8.30am start - Bank Head Barn, Lower Earnstrey Park Farm, Tugford, SY7 9HT (NB post code doesn't get you to us!) SO56670 87952.
- 8th to 10th July - Abdon Wildlife Group Moth Night. It is National Moth Night Week running this week. I am going to set my moth trap up on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights in different parts of the garden. If anyone would like to join me at 8.30am on Friday, Saturday or Sunday morning to see what has tuned up let me know. Address: Bank Head Barn, Lower Earnstrey Park Farm, Tugford, SY7 9HT (post code does not get you to us!) SO 56636 87925. There will be a sign for Lower Earnstrey Park Farm at the end of our track by the road. Best wishes, Miles 07810 810400.
- Saturday 10th July – Abdon Wildlife Group Bird Walk 10.30am start. Meet at Brown Clee "picnic area" SO605874 (plenty of parking) for 10.30am. start. Last year there were plenty of marbled white butterflies plus many other species of butterfly and moths on the lower slopes. We will then walk up the hill where we can expect to see some interesting birds, including Red Starts. We shall stop by Boyne Water, a hot spot for dragonflies. This is a joint meeting with RSPB Ludlow group. Please bring refreshments and remember to dress according to the conditions. We shall finish approx. 1pm. Walk leader Carol Wood 07807068304.
- Sunday 18th July - Abdon Wildlife Group Dragonfly Walk 11.00am - 14.00pm-ish. The weather is set fair for the next little while. We will be looking at plants as well. This will be at the pools around the summit of Abdon Burf on the Brown Clee. It will involve a steep walk. The area can be reached by both rough tracks or via the tarmacked incline plain. There are Dragonflies about now that can be seen on warm sunny days like this male Broad-bodied Chaser and male "Beautiful Demoiselle damselfly." Meet up at the top of the Brown Clee near the trig point at 11.00am. We can then see what dragonflies we can find around the pools near the summit. There are dragonflies about now so we should find some up there. Various ways to get there e.g. from the picnic area or up the tarmaced incline plain. Unfortunately there is no vehicle access. Bring water and refreshments as required.
- Saturday 31st July – Abdon Wildlife Group Upland Vegetation 2. Brown Clee Summit & Ditton Enclosure. Please note this is an upland, strenuous walk on rough tussocky ground, wet in places. We shall be looking at grasses, sedges, and rushes, as well as looking for Marsh Violets (food plant of the Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary), and other flowering plants. On our previous walk we discovered a colony of Mountain Pansies, never before recorded in that area! There will be two sessions. For the morning session, meet at SO593876, where there is a gateway into the Open Access Area (Ditton Enclosure) for an 11am start. And the meeting place for the afternoon session, will be the summit of Abdon Burf. This session will cover Ditton Enclosure and finish at the summit at about 1p.m. For the afternoon meet at the summit for a 2pm start. Attend one or both (and bring packed lunch). Further info contact Karl: email@example.com