Accept and Continue

Cookies on this site

This site uses cookies. For more information, please see our privacy policy.
Skip to main content

Wildlife Group

Abdon District Community Wildlife Group

Overview:

We are now part of the county-wide family of Community Wildlife Groups. More information about these groups can be found at: www.shropscwgs.org.uk 

News and Events - August and September 2021:

• Saturday 29th August - Abdon Wildlife Group Bat Evening. Anyone interested in seeing what bats we can identify using the group's bat detector and any other detectors people bring, please come along. Need to be there just before it gets dark. The address is Brickyard Farm, Wheathill, WV16 6QT. On the main Bridgnorth to Ludlow road. A pink flag will be flying at the drive entrance. All welcome, especially grandchildren!
  • Sunday 29th August - Abdon Wildlife Group Moth Morning. 8am at Brickyard Farm, Wheathill, WV16 6QT. On the main Bridgnorth to Ludlow road. 
  • Saturday 4th September - Abdon Wildlife Group Walk: Upland Vegetation 3. Clee Liberty & Five Springs. Our third and final day “following in the footsteps of John Handley”. Using John’s 2014 survey of the hill, we shall be seeking plants of special interest. We shall confine ourselves to 1km square SO5985, and the northern half of SO5984.Over 20 “axiophytes” (plants indicative of good habitat) have been found in this area, including Hard Fern, Carnation Sedge and Fairy Flax. Meet at the gateway above Five Springs at SO597853 (this is where five Rights-of-way meet at a gateway between the open heathland and the woodland). Morning session: start at 10.30am,  Afternoon session: start at 2pm. Please let Karl know if you intend to come, and which session(s), so that you can be contacted if we have to cancel at short notice. Access: If you have a mobility issue, we have arranged with the Parish Council for vehicular access up the road to the radio mast. If you would like to make use of this, let Karl know in advance.
  • 8th October - Abdon District Community Wildlife Group Curlews 2021. Attached below are the findings of the survey work that we carried out this year.  Also attached is the Shropshire Ornithological Society's Save our Curlews campaign summary report 2021. Leo has sent the following: "Thanks a lot for your efforts in 2021, which you’ll see are making an important contribution to the efforts to reverse the decline in the curlew population. I’m looking at the Curlew survey results now, so I can submit a population estimate and the outcome of the nesting attempts to the South of England Curlew Forum, to help compile a case for conservation action for Curlews to the Government, via the Curlew Recovery Partnership and the UK and Ireland Curlew Action Group. I’ll analyse the results you sent for other species later, compile the usual Bird Survey report in due course, and send you a copy when it’s done.  Attached are maps showing all Curlew records in 2021, and my estimate of the number of pairs they represent. If you know of any other nest where the eggs hatched, or of any fledged young, please let me know immediately. Thanks again for your help. We’ll continue the survey next year, and I hope you can help again, please." I am intending to take on 2 or 3 more local tetrads next year so we are looking for more people able to carry out surveys.  Please let me know if you would like to take part. Covid allowing it is the intention that Leo will come over to Abdon to present his report in full and give us the wider picture of conservation for Curlews.
  • Website Manager - The group need someone to manage our website.  This is most likely to be based on the Shropshire Community Wildlife Groups website updating our pages.  We do not expect this to involve frequent updates.  Current thinking is to show our year's programme of events, annual reports, notification of visiting speakers. Is there a member of the group who can take this on for us?  If interested please contact me.
  • Westhope CWG launch 21 October 2.15pm - This is a brand new group. Dave Pearce contacted us to let us know that there will be a launch get together at Westhope Village Hall on Thursday afternoon 21 October at 2.15pm.  The group's area will be the Westhope Estate.  Founder members will explain the area and the group's aims over tea/coffee and cake followed by a local walk. If you wish to attend turn up at Westhope Village Hall around 2.15pm. Dave Pearce can be contacted on 07791 180488.
  • October - Community Tree Scheme. Shropshire Council is reopening the Community Tree Scheme once again, for planting during the coming season (Autumn / Winter 2021-2022). We will only be able to provide trees in multiples of prearranged bundles of 20, rather than offering applicants total freedom of tree species choices and numbers. Successful applicants must be able to collect their trees directly from either of the two places helping us this year – Prees Heath Forest Nursery in the north of the county or John Holliday (formerly Potters Farm Tree Nursery) at Lower Hayton in the south. Full details of this year’s scheme, how it works and our online application form, can be found at the following webpage: http://www.shropshire.gov.uk/environment/trees-woodlands-and-hedges/shropshire-council-community-tree-scheme-202122/Further details with regards to collection will be sent to successful applicants. Applications are processed on a first come first served basis and we will close the scheme when all the available trees are allocated.
  • Saturday 23rd October (rescheduled from 16th) - Abdon Wildlife Group Funghi Walk. Meet at Picnic Site car park (map ref SO608872) for 10am start. We shall climb up through the woods to the Open Access Area, seeking fungi as we go, and then explore grassland, and areas near Beech trees. Aim to be back at car park for 1pm. Or bring a packed lunch, to finish with a picnic on the hill. This is very much self-help field-work, so please bring guide books, apps, camera or whatever! Let Karl know if you intend to come, in order that in event of any last-minute change, he can let you know. karl94694@gmail.com 
Abdon and Heath Parish Wildlife Group