Age UK Berkshire
We're Age UK Berkshire and our goal is to enable older people across the whole of the county to enjoy later life.
Who we are
Age is different for everyone, of course, and the challenges and demands are different for everyone, too. At Age UK Berkshire we are many things to many people: a source of advice, information, support, companionship and enjoyment.
What we do
We believe that everyone can love later life - we do this by inspiring, supporting and enabling in a number of ways:
- To encourage choice and opportunity for older people.
- To be a direct service provider of high quality services for older people.
- To ensure that older people are aware of, and have access to, the benefits to which they are entitled.
- To advocate on behalf of older people.
- To promote positive attitudes towards older people and ageing.
How we do that
- We provide support and services that make a real and positive difference to the quality of older people’s lives, including the most vulnerable and isolated.
- We have been working with local people since June 1950.
- We first registered as Age Concern Berkshire in 1964.
- We belong to the UK's largest organisation working with and for older people. In 2010 we changed our name to Age UK Berkshire, having joined the Age UK partnership formed from the merger of Age Concern and Help the Aged. We continue to share the same values, standards and overall aim: to help all older people make more of later life.
- We have almost 200 hard-working and dedicated volunteers without whom we could not function.
- In 2014, we have almost 50 employees, some of whom work part-time.
- Employees and volunteers undergo an Enhanced Check with the Disclosure & Barring Scheme (which used to be the Criminal Records Bureau) prior to starting work with us.
- Age UK Berkshire is an independent organisation responsible for its own funds and governance.
- A Board of Directors oversees the management of the organisation and they are responsible to Age UK Berkshire Members.
- Our registered charity number is 1146462.
- We are also a Company Limited by Guarantee, number 07928260.
Our registered office is at Huntley House, 119 London Street, Reading, Berkshire, RG1 4QA.
- We are a member of the Age England Association which campaigns on behalf of older people nationally. The Association and the Age UK partnership provide vital services that help with daily living as well as researching the needs and opinions of older people.
Age UK influences national and local government and the media and seeks out new and innovative ways to make a difference. We make a difference by shaping policy - for example, backing national campaigns on age discrimination and pensions, or campaigning locally.
- We also work in partnership with other agencies such as local councils across Berkshire and the seven Clinical Commissioning Groups, as well as other Age Concern organisations and groups who are "Friends of Age UK Berkshire", to make sure that local services meet the needs of local older people.
Age UK Berkshire recognises that individuals may face discrimination on the basis of race, colour, ethnic or national origin, religious belief or lack of, political belief or affiliation, gender, gender re-assignment, sexual orientation, dependent-care requirements, marital status, disability and, of course, age.
Our aim is to make our services fully inclusive and we acknowledge the needs of older people irrespective of personal, social or other considerations.