Alton Quaker Meeting
Alton Meeting House
Quakers have been around since 1672 and is the second-oldest purpose-built Meeting House in the world that is still in use. The ideas underlying our beliefs have not changed much, but we do move on, carefully testing our leadings using our tried and trusted methods and quiet meetings, for listening to ‘the still small voice’.
Quakers have been involved in many of the social reforms over the last few centuries, and are often very active in peace work and conflict resolution. All kinds of people continue to be drawn towards this mixture of faith and action.
Alton Meeting House was built in Church Street in 1672 at a cost of £204. Since then there have been a few alternations – for example a new floor was laid in 1730, and a cottage added to the end of the building in 1832.