Ok, I understand
Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. For more information, please see our privacy policy.
Skip to main content

Battle Town Council

Mayor's Charity

The objective of the Mayor's Charity is to use the office of Mayor to bring together the Council and the community in support of local causes. Each year the presiding Mayor will nominate a charity, or charities, and will work to organise events and raise money for them.

As the founding Mayor, Cllr Margaret Kiloh has chosen two registered charities with local connections.

• Home Start East Sussex works with families with children under five who are in need of support. It needs money to recruit and train parent volunteers in the Battle area who will provide support for local families. Home Start is currently running a course for volunteers at the Battle Children's Centre. When trained, volunteers will be working with families in the Battle area offering help and support where needed. www.homestartsouthdowns.org.uk 
  • TVS is an educational charity based in Battle, which works with schools in deprived rural communities in South Africa. It is looking for funding to recruit and support volunteers from Battle to teach at one of its South African study camps.www.tvschools.org.uk/index.php

The Mayor's Charity programme was launched at a successful reception on 9th October, which included a weigh-in for the Mayor's sponsored slim. As at the 2nd February, the Mayor has now lost a total of 11 pounds at a steady rate of around 1 pound per week.

Other events supporting the Mayor's Charity

1066 Dinner will be held at Battle Abbey School on Friday 2nd September 2016, with Lord John Bird MBE (founder of the Big Issue) as the guest speaker - further details to follow.

A Charity Golf Day will be held at Dale Hill Golf Club on Thursday 29th September 2016 - see below for more information.

Keep checking this page for up to date details, or follow Battle Town Council on twitter @BattleTownCncl to get involved in supporting these events.

Battle Town Council Mayor's Charity

Battle Mayor's Charity Golf Day

Thursday 29 September 2016 at Dale Hill Golf Club in Ticehurst

The format will be a four player team stableford competition, with additional prizes for longest drive and nearest the pin. Other fund raising activities will take place during the day, including a putting competition and raffle.

Cost of entry, including bacon roll and coffee on arrival and a one course meal after the round is £160 per team of four. Individual entries at £40 each are also welcome, to be made up into teams on the day.

Spaces are limited, so if you are interested please complete and return the entry form as soon as possible to guarantee your place at this event.

Contact Andy Beams on 01424 772210 or via email andybeams@battletowncouncil.org.uk for further details

Sponsored Run for TVS

On 11th September 2016 Diana Tottle will be taking part in the Great North Run in aid of Tyume Valley Schools Development Association, one of this year’s chosen charities.  

Diana was born in Uganda; she explains: “the first half of my working life was as a teacher in Botswana and then managing voluntary organisations in West Africa. This has given me valuable insights into both the need for good educational opportunities and the challenges involved in delivering these. Tyume Valley Schools (www.tvschools.org.uk) has been working in a remote valley in Eastern Cape Province South Africa for 10 years. TVS concentrates on improving children’s fluency and confidence in English (with a focus on teaching the teachers) and introducing basic IT skills. TVS is a very small charity, reliant on extensive volunteer effort and has no overheads to suck up resources. So I am confident the money raised by my run will go a very long way.

I’m well into training, and will keep you updated on my progress over the next few months."

You can sponsor Diana by simply clicking on: https://mydonate.bt.com/events/tvsgreatnorthrun2016/303643   

Battle Town Council Mayor's Charity