Bedford Ladies & Girls Football Club
Bedford Ladies and Girls Football Club was founded in 1996 as part of West End FC. It soon became apparent that the objectives of the boys’ and the girls’ football was very different and we wanted to focus on the needs of the girls and so Bedford and District Girls Football Club was born. We have shortened the name to Bedford Ladies and Girls Football Club.
We group train twice weekly concentrating on not only having fun but also in developing skill, promoting a healthy lifestyle, improving fitness and wellbeing. Parents are encouraged to get involved and this gives the Club a unique family atmosphere.
The older girls are encouraged to act as mentors to the younger ones and to take up coaching and refereeing and to run teams themselves.
The Club is run by volunteer Club Officials, coaches and parent helpers. It is a Charter Standard Development Club and is fully affiliated with the Bedfordshire FA . All our staff undertake the Safeguarding programme, First Aid and are CRB/DBS checked.
The subscription charged to members is to cover the running costs only ie the hiring of pitches, equipment, insurance and league fees. All other monies are secured through sponsorship, donations, fundraising events and grants.
Our aims for the girls as a club are
- To provide a family atmosphere
- To offer everyone an opportunity to play competitive football regardless of background
- For girls of different age groups to play together (for the older ones to teach by playing with the younger ones). This also has the benefit of a natural and smooth transition from youth to ladies, as many of them by the time the reach 16 will have played in friendly matches with the ladies and have trained alongside them so feel comfortable with it
- To develop girls' footballing skills to their full potential from a young age through to ladies
- To encourage girls to play good passing football
- To provide two training nights a week
- To play to the highest standard they can
- To find the best competitive play and variety for them
- To promote discipline and 'Respect'
- To encourage girls to go into coaching
- To encourage girls to go into refereeing
Our aims for the Club are
- To find a permanent 'Home Ground'
- To promote the club and to raise its profile and reputation
- To seek out and develop talent
- To continue to seek promotion at the Ladies level
- To maintain and raise standards
- To promote a healthier lifestyle through being active
- To continue to develop as the only all female Club in Bedford and only one of two in the county
We go on tours where possible and during the summer months enter tournaments.