90th Anniversary Match
Bishopthorpe Bowling Club
Bishopthorpe Bowling Club was founded on 20 June 1927, when 24 prospective members met to discuss formation of the club. The Club has been running since then, with each successive Archbishop of York as its patron.
As this year is our 90th Anniversary, we invited our friends from Copmanthorpe Bowling Club to join us in a celebratory afternoon of bowling on Sunday 11 June. The afternoon began with a spider competition, which was won by a superb shot from Pat Potter, Chair of Copmanthorpe Bowling Club, with the prize of a bottle of whisky donated by our President, Geoff Gardiner.
This was followed by a mixed triples competition of 18 ends with teams comprising a mixture of members from both clubs. Everyone enjoyed an afternoon of friendly bowling and the winning team with the greatest shots difference was presented with a bottle of Prosecco for each of the three players, Gerry, John and Martin.
The afternoon ended with a raffle and a delicious buffet tea provided by members. Thank you to all those who contributed.
Our thanks to members of Copmanthorpe for joining us in this celebration and for contributing so generously to the raffle. Special thanks to Pat Potter and Peter Tooze of Copmanthorpe for organising their members and to Wendy Tooze for her assistance in the catering department.
In years gone by, there used to be an annual match between Bishopthorpe and Copmanthorpe for a "Cockerel" Trophy (see photo). The trophy was last won by Bishopthorpe in a now forgotten year and has been held here ever since.
- 01904 702708
Find Bishopthorpe Bowling Club
Acaster Lane, Bishopthorpe, Bishopthorpe, York, North Yorkshire, YO23 2SA
Please note that the location shown on the map above is postcode based and not quite correct. The Club is actually the little green patch just south of Coda Avenue.