Bournemouth Electric Bowls Club
Bournemouth Electric Bowls Club was formed by employees of the, then, “Bournemouth and Poole Electricity Supply Company”, nowadays trading as Scottish and Southern Energy. A sports and social club for the employees was officially opened on 10th October 1936, one of the many sporting facilities being bowls. This facility proved extremely popular and, in 1946, Bournemouth Electric Bowls Club affiliated to, and took part in, the league and competitions of the Bournemouth and District Bowling Association. Following that affiliation, the club went from strength to strength, culminating in the winning of the league in both 1963 and 1964. Since then, the club has enjoyed various levels of success at both club and individual level.
A few years ago, Scottish and Southern Energy relinquished its involvement in the management of the sports and social club (the parent club) and leased it to the membership at an annual rental. Consequently, every section of the parent club now has to be self-financing and the membership of the Bowls Section has been successful in financing the maintenance of the bowling green and the bowls pavilion
The Club prides itself in encouraging new people to take up the sport. Over the last two years they have increased the opportunity for members to participate in local competitions and this year will see the entry of a Ladies Team into the local league. The club also runs its own mixed league and practice sessions.
Last winter club members spent many hours updating the Club house which is now more usable by not only its own members but to visiting teams. Again by having members volunteering it meant that only the cost of materials had to be met. The Club was granted Charity Status on 15 Dec 2016.