Bramshaw Parish Council
Bramshaw is a collection of hamlets comprising Brook, Bramshaw, Canterton, Dazel, Fritham, Furzley and Penn. It lies entirely within the New Forest National Park and includes large tracts of land owned by the National Trust and Crown Land administered by the Forestry Commission. Located some 10 miles west of Southampton, just south of the A36, Bramshaw is easily accessible from Junctions 1 and 2 of the M27.
Bramshaw Traffic Calming Initiative
The Bramshaw traffic calming consultation report and recommendations is available below. A few paper copies will be available at the village shop from 19 December 2017.
The next stage in the traffic calming initiative will be the production of a detailed design and implementation plan, which should be available in the earlier part of 2018, and further consultation with residents
Bramshaw (the name means Bramble Woods) was originally partly in both Wiltshire and Hampshire but it actually became fully part of Hampshire due to a parliamentary act in 1894.
Bramshaw Parish has a number of other small villages within it boundaries which include Brook, Furzley, Canterton; close to the Rufus Stone and said to be the haunted by a ghostly procession following the route of Rufus body to the stone, and Fritham; which was once the home of the Schulze's gunpowder factory. The factory used local forest charcoal as part of the gunpowder making process.
The Schulze's gunpowder factory was responsible for the legacy of the lake that can be found here.
The forest in the Bramshaw woods area is truly ancient with archaeological remains dating back to the Bronze Age being found at some of the forests barrows on Stagbury Hill, one of the parks scheduled ancient monuments.
The highest point in the forest can also be found just west of Bramshaw which is called Pipers Wait at a height of 410 ft. The Bramshaw area is also renowned for the quality of walks and cycle routes and is very favoured by many walking and cycling groups.
Bramshaw is ideally situated as a central base for those visiting the area with Lyndhurst close by and Bournemouth, as well as the ancient capital of Winchester around a thirty minute drive on a good day. And for the golfers out there it also has the oldest golf club in the county with a heritage dating back to the 1880's.