Broughton lies in the heart of the Hampshire countryside in England midway between the medieval cities of Salisbury to the west and Winchester to the east, and between the old market towns of Andover to the north and Romsey to the south.
It covers an area of some 3,792 acres with a population of approximately 1,000 across some 380 households.
The attractive village of Broughton lies in the centre of the parish, which is mainly agricultural; the Wallop Brook flows through the parish to join the River Test in the east, and the stream runs parallel to the main street through the village.
In the far north of the parish the land slopes up to a wooded mound known as Chattis Hill which is not far from Danebury Hill: there are tumuli near Chattis Hill and also in the south of the parish.
St. Mary's Church has architectural features dating from the C.13 and a dovecote in the churchyard reputedly given by Richard III. The Baptist Chapel was founded in 1655, which is very early for a non-conformist church.
If you ask anyone today what is the outstanding feature of Broughton they would almost certainly say its exceptional community spirit. It has a large number of very active societies and groups which cater for all ages and interests.
Broughton has its own school, doctors' surgery, village shop, Post Office, village bus and well-equipped village hall.
The history of the village goes back to early times. There is evidence that in the Anglo-Saxon period people lived in scattered homesteads in the area and that they took refuge in nearby Danebury Hill Fort when threatened by invaders. Later the Romans had a station, called Brigge, near here, about halfway along their road between the military bases at Winchester and Old Sarum, outside Salisbury.
When the Domesday Book was completed in 1086, the Manor of Broughton was owned by the Crown and the area has had associations with the Royal Family ever since. The population of the parish has remained at about 1,000 for the last 900 years, in spite of many casualties in European and World Wars.
Occupations have changed in recent years; up to the 1930s, agriculture was the main local employer, with supporting trades and crafts providing most of the other jobs. Today, the residents have a wide range of 21st century occupations and many travel to work in towns and cities both near and far. There are also some retired people, from commerce, trade, industry and the professions, including the armed forces.
In 1990, Broughton was very happy to twin with the picturesque medieval village of Sauve, near Nimes, in the south of France. 101 residents of Sauve visited Broughton for the signing of the Charter of Friendship and a slightly smaller number from the village made a return visit to Sauve.
There is an active Broughton/Sauve Twinning Association which arranges visits and exchanges.
Broughton in Hampshire