Bungay Bowls Club
Welcome to the Bungay Bowls Web site.
Until the autumn of 2008 it was widely believed that the Club was formed in 1898 and until recently it has been the only outdoor sporting club to be based within the town itself. However, in September 2008 Ken Palmer emailed the club, along with a photograph, to say he was in possession of a wood upon which was written, "won by H Woolnough August 1886" and it was a "Prize bowl" that was "Presented by Captain F. Smith" with the inscription "Bungay Bowling Green". This would seem to suggest that there was a bowling green in Bungay at least 12 years before we have the first mention of a Bowls Club. It would not be too great an assumption to say that a bowls club existed in Bungay from at least 1886. This assumption was proved correct when Club President Frank Honeywood found a reference in the 1875 Kelly's Directory of a bowling green associated with the White Lion pub. We also received a 1915 Bungay postcard featuring members of the White Lion Bowling Club posing on the green outside the castle. We are grateful to Cheshire's Bill Monaghan for sending his parent's back "home".
The Green is on the corner of Bardolph Road and St. John's Road in Bungay. There is ample provision for car parking next to the Green and a Pavilion for changing and enjoying refreshments. The Club does not have a bar, gambling machines, telephone or television facilities