The Canterbury Film Makers
(formerly the Canterbury Camcorder Club which was the successor of the Canterbury Cine Club Society).
A Canterbury Cine Society existed from 1934 to 1939, which used to meet in one of the High Street shops ‘Gouldens’ which sold music related items. This club was disbanded because of the outbreak of the Second World War. Then there was a society called the "Canterbury Amateur Cine Society Film Unit" that ran from 1951 until the mid 1960's and met in the basement of a large Victorian House in the New Dover Road, now the Ebury Hotel. Profits from the sale of their equipment when they closed operations were given to the Canterbury Camcorder Club.
A new club was formed in March 1966 called the Canterbury Cine Club. When video came along it was re-named Canterbury Cine Video Club and then later still the Canterbury Camcorder Club.
The Club’s constitution had the following ‘Objects’
- To encourage the production of motion pictures as a hobby.
- To promote the use of motion pictures and audio visual presentations as a form of artistic endeavour, and to impart technical knowledge regarding the operation of appropriate equipment by means of mutual help and discussion between members.
- To increase the knowledge and technical ability of members by the provision of lectures, the screening of presentations of special technical merit and interest, and advice upon suitable channels of instruction.
- To encourage interest in motion pictures as an art and as a medium of information and education and to organise competitions, exhibitions and similar functions.
Notable past films made by the Club have included “Free as a Bird” about gliding, made at the Kent Gliding Club at Challock, and which won a Highly Commended Certificate at the Kent Film Festival, “Invicta 150” about the ‘Crab and Winkle’ Railway line and its 150th anniversary in 1980, the “Pope in Canterbury” in 1982, and a film covering the celebrations marking the 50th Anniversary of the end of German shelling of Dover in 1994. These films and others have been shown to public audiences in Canterbury. On one occasion the Club successfully filled to capacity the ‘old’ Marlowe Theatre in St. Margaret’s Street to show “The Ten Best (amateur) Films”, an annual event for many years sponsored by the then national magazine ‘Amateur Cine World’.
Club meetings had a demonstration of equipment by a visiting speaker, or one of the members, a competition evening of which there may be five in the year, ‘workshop’ evenings, or film-making evenings. Sometimes the meeting goes outdoors to film, for instance Christmas lights, or short stories scripted by members during the summer break.
The 40th Anniversary of the Club was celebrated on 21st March 2006 when three original members were special guests. In addition there are also three original members still with the Club.
The Club met every first and third Tuesday of each month from September to May at St. Paul’s new church hall in Church Street St. Paul’s at 7-30 for 7-45 p.m.
The Film Makers Club now meets of Friday mornings once a month. See our programme page on this website. New members would be very welcome and may be assured of a warm and friendly reception.