Village Hall History
Potted History of Danby Wiske Village Hall
Danby Wiske Village Hall first opened its doors in 1922 as The Old Institute, housed in a repurposed Canadian army hut transported from Rotherham. Thanks to the fundraising efforts of local ex-servicemen, the little wooden building found a new home in the village.
Back then, it was a simple place with wooden walls, “coke stoves” to keep everyone toasty, and a single earth toilet (for the ladies only)! Locals still chuckle over stories of gentlemen discreetly using the nearby trees as their facilities during events.
The old village institute hosted a range of activities and events including The Danby Wiske Agricultural Show, Women's Institute (formed in 1937), dressmaking, communal jam making and flower arranging. The hall also housed a full size billiards table constructed by a local joiner, Mr J W Jobling. With a removable wooden cover this doubled up as a useful kitchen table.
In 1972, a formal lease for the land was drawn up, kindly granted by Herbert Jobling for the princely sum of 50p per year, truly a gift to the village.
By 1978, it was time for an upgrade. The old Village Institute was replaced by a shiny, brand-new wooden hall, complete with toilets! The new building cost £11,000, raised mainly by the hard work and generosity of the local community, with a little help from Hambleton District Council (£700) and a bank loan of £5,000, this was a huge commitment at the time! The hall was decorated by local volunteers and officially opened by on 27th March 1978 by Sir Timothy Kitson Member of Parliment for the constituency.
Today, that same hall continues to be a hub of village life, hosting everything from lively community events to the many activities that bring our neighbours together.