Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

Dementia Friends Champion

What is a Dementia Friends Champion?

A Dementia Friends Champion is a volunteer who encourages others to make a positive difference to people living with dementia in their community. They do this by giving them information about the personal impact of dementia, and what they can do to help. 

It's easy to get involved. Dementia Friends Champions will attend a induction, receive support when they need it, and be part of over 10,500 volunteer Dementia Friends Champions creating dementia friendly communities(external link) together.

Becoming a Dementia Friend Champion has undoubtedly been one of the most positive and exciting things I've done’

Jane Gilby, Dementia Friends Champion

My background is in adult education, and if I'm honest I can be quite critical of training sessions. This training was fantastic; I couldn't fail to be enthused. The message of Dementia Friends came across really strongly and everyone was so enthusiastic. It's a fantastic idea, and I think it will make a real difference to the lives of people with dementia. Getting the message out there that dementia is a condition, not just part of the ageing process, is so important, and I'm looking forward to being part of helping to improve people's day-to-day lives.

Jeff Williams, Hampshire

You don't need to have any particular experience or skillset to be a Dementia Friends Champion, but you do need to understand what's involved so please read the rest of the information in this section carefully.

Read on to find out more about the Champions induction or search for your nearest course using the box on the right. 

source: https://www.dementiafriends.org.uk/WEBArticle?page=what-is-a-champion#.VysD3PkrKHs

If you are a Dementia Friends Champion and want to let us know please fill in the form below.