Devonport Naval Heritage Centre
The Heritage Site offers the following historic buildings, exhibit galleries and naval vessels which can be visited:
- The Fire Station mapping the history of shipbuilding, the Sail Navy and the Police Museum.
- The Engine House displaying the magnificent early Figurehead collection.
- The 18th Century Pay Office housing colourful textiles, naval dress, swords, and memorabilia and telling the story of victualling (sailors’ food and drink) through the ages.
- The Warspite Gallery outlining the transition of ships from sail to steam and wood to metal. Includes the story of HMS Warspite, the most decorated warship in the Royal Navy’s history, which celebrates its centenary in 2013.
- The Devonport Gallery exploring the Dockyard, Navy and local area through two world wars.
- The Courageous Gallery telling the story of the submarine Courageous and demonstrating a hands-on working periscope.
- Plymouth Gallery mapping the story since the end of WW2 and the development of the modern Navy at Devonport with some amazing 20th century naval ship models.
- Gilroy House celebrating the history of seamanship, navigation and smaller support vessels.