Accept and Continue

Cookies on this site

This site uses cookies. For more information, please see our privacy policy.
Skip to main content

Become a Parish Councillor

Becoming a Hamble Parish Councillor

As a parish councillor you would be representing the interest of the parishioners of Hamble. To become a parish councillor you have to be elected to one of the seats on the Parish Council.

The Parish Council retires and holds an election every four years.

You could be a parish councillor for Hamble if:

• you are 18 years old or over; OR
• you are a British, Commonwealth or Irish citizen or a citizen of another Member State of the European Union.


• you are registered as a elector in Hamble; OR
• you are the owner or tenant of any land or premises in Hamble; OR
• your principal or only place of work for the past 12 months or more has been in Hamble; OR
• you have lived in Hamble for the past 12 months or within 4.8km of it.

You cannot seek election if:

• you work for the Local Authority which has the vacancy or hold a politically restricted post;
• you are an undischarged bankrupt;
• you have been sentenced to a term of imprisonment in the past 5 years; OR
• you have been disqualified under any enactment relating to corrupt or illegal practices.

Having qualified for election, you would need to be nominated, after the Notice of Election has been published, by a proposer and a seconder, who all must live in Hamble.


The next date for elections for Hamble Parish Council will take place on a Thursday in early May 2020.

Nomination papers will be available from the Civic Offices, Eastleigh at a date to be confirmed in the spring of 2020.

From time to time councillors may retire or resign from the Parish Council in between elections.

If that occurs there will be a notice advertising for the calling of an by-election. If no by-election is called it is then possible for the Parish Council to advertise for suitable candidates to be co-opted on to the Parish Council.