Haverfordwest Farmers' Market
Crab, Lemon and Leek Pasta – Serves 4
Recipe ©Kate Morgan
- 25g Welsh butter
- 2 Welsh leeks, finely sliced
- 300g farfelle or penne pasta
- Rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 300mls Crème Fraiche
- 2 tbps fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 75g freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 200g fresh white crab meat
- 200g fresh brown crab meat
- Garnish - freshly chopped parsley.
- Melt the butter in a large pan over a low heat, add the sliced leeks, cover and cook gently until softened, about 12-15mins.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta according to instructions in boiling salted water.
- Once leeks are softened, remove the pan off the heat and stir in the lemon rind and juice, crème fraiche, chopped parsley and 25g of the parmesan cheese. Stir until well combined. Return to the heat and stir in both crab meats. Allow the sauce to heat through gently, season to taste
- Drain the pasta well and combine with the leek and crab sauce, sprinkle with fresh parsley.
- Serve immediately with a fresh tomato salsa, crusty bread and offer the remaining parmesan cheese.
Chocolate and Apple Cake - Serves 8-10
Recipe ©Kate Morgan
- 250g plain flour
- 25g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100g butter softened
- 200g soft brown sugar
- Zest of one orange
- 2 eggs
- A few drops of vanilla essence
- 175mls milk
- 2 cooking apples peeled, cored and grated approx 250g
- Preheat oven to 180˚C/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a 20cm/8ins square cake tin with grease-proof paper.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda together into a bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl beat the butter, sugar and orange zest together until light and fluffy. Whisk in the eggs one at a time with the vanilla essence.
- Whisk in a little of the flour and milk alternatively into the egg mixture, mixing well, then fold in the grated apple.
- Spoon the cake mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the surface. Bake for 45-50 mins until a warm skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Leave in the tin for 5 mins then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Serve sprinkled with icing sugar and cut into squares, or cover with chocolate ganache or butter icing.