Hodsock parish council
Hodsock Parish Council serves Langold and Hodsock with approximately 1800 electors. Langold is famous for its beautiful Lake and Country park. Langold Lake Country Park covers approximately 300 acres and features woodland, two large lakes, wildlife meadows, walkways and a variety of recreational areas. The park is popular with children, dogs, fishermen and bird watchers alike. As a 'model village' similar to Creswell (Derbyshire) and Manton (Worksop), Langold village contains numerous features of architectural and historical interest. Of particular note is the foundation stone of St Lukes Church on Church Street enscribed "To the glory of God. This stone was laid by Miss Mellish 25 June 1928". Also of interest are the 4 brick and tile entrance piers on Wembley Road, the piers built and road named as such in 1924 to commemorate the first FA Cup Final to be held at Wembley Stadium the previous year.
Hodsock Priory and gardens is at the centre of the 800-acre (3.2 km2) Hodsock Estate, owned by the Buchanan family since 1765. The farm is 700 acres (2.8 km2) and grows carrots, wheat, barley and sugar beet. There is 100 acres (0.40 km2) of managed woodland.
A 20 million gallon irrigation reservoir, constructed in 1997, covers 7.5 acres (30,000 m2). Carefully designed to blend with the landscape, the reservoir attracts wild waterfowl, including oyster catchers, great crested grebes and shelducks. Elsewhere on the estate, bird life includes little owls, kingfishers, kestrels, green woodpeckers hobbies, robins, wrensand long-tailed tits. Hedgehogs, foxes, moles, voles, shrews, water voles, rabbits and hares are common.
The house is not open to the public, but the gardens and woods open to visitors in February during the snowdrop season.
Hodsock Priory is an English country house in Nottinghamshire, 4 miles (6.4 km) north of Worksop, England, and 1-mile (1.6 km) south of Blyth. Despite its name, it is not and never has been a priory. Hodsock is renowned for its snowdrops in early spring.