Hordley Parish Council
History of Parish Council of Hordley
The existence of the parish is identified at least prior to 1847 according to the tithe maps.
The Parish Council is responsible for looking after the general affairs of the residents of the parish. This includes the condition and safety of the roads, housing, planning, amenities and raising revenues for the benefit of the parish. It also deals where necessary with the police, all levels of local government and other organisations.
There are three notice boards in the parish ,outside the village hall; by the church and outside The Old Fox at the junction of Chapel Lane.
The Parish Council has over the years initiated the building of houses within the parish such as Sycamore view and School Field Close. It has been very active with regards to road improvements and drainage and instigator of the new 30 mile an hour limit through Hordley and Bagley .The Council was very active in the past by getting mains water to the parish in 1962 and electric in the 1950’s. In recent years the Parish Council has assisted in maintaining the village hall and the church cemetery ,which is open to all denominations.
During March 2016 ,the council paid for the removal of the dilapidated bus shelter in Chapel Lane.
The Parish Council consists of seven members. The current chairwoman is Cllr. Mrs. Jean Duncan, previous chairmen were:
· Frank Beech
· Derek Jones
· Edward Jones
· Brian Downes
· George Jones
· Eric Eastwood