Kennet and Avon Canal Trust
On the 11th August 1951 the Kennet and Avon Canal Association was formed, which became The Kennet and Avon Canal Trust on 6th June 1962 thus enabling charitable status. Together with British Waterways and the Riparian Councils: The Kennet and Avon Canal Trust aims to 'Protect, Enhance and Promote' the canal. It is through this love and passion that the canal was restored to its current state. The volunteers were finally rewarded when the Queen opened the locks in 1990.
Today the Kennet and Avon is used by all from walkers to cyclists to boat enthusiasts. We have five objectives:
- To support and increase Trust membership, canal volunteering and canal community networking:
- To protect, maintain and enhance the waterway through positive involvement and partnership with the Canal management, Local Government and others:
- To protect and enhance the waterway through fund raising, campaigning, funding and resource provision:
- To protect, enhance and promote the waterway and its story through the Trust museum, pumping stations, shops, boats and branch networks:
- To raise awareness of the canal and its potential.
The Kennet and Avon Canal Trust - Powered by Volunteers!
The canal became neglected and derelict along most of its 87½ mile length and the last voyage through the full length was in 1952. It is due to the many Trust volunteers that the canal is now open for all to enjoy.
“In June 2013, the Kennet and Avon Canal Trust was honoured to receive The Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service, for which we are proud.”