Leighton Buzzard Farmers Market
There has been a Farmers Market held in Leighton Buzzard for many years now. Originally instigated by South Beds District Council (now Central Beds Council) in November 1999, this market is held on the third Saturday of every month from 9:30 am - 12 pm. Numbering approximately twelve, these regular traders all come from the local area and either produce or make their products.
Traders have enjoyed plying their wares on a Market at Leighton Buzzard for many years. Indeed there has been a market here or on a site near the present one since approximately 909 AD. The market enjoys Charter status which was given to it around the time of The Doomsday Survey of 1086. The market took place on land owned by the Crown and is one of only three markets recorded in the Bedfordshire area at the time of the Survey.
As, throughout the ages, traders have come from far and wide to attend the market. Some travelling in excess of 100 miles round journey. Like in its conception, the present traders have formed a bond only these days that bond is in a form of a committee. Like the early days, the market is also a meeting place for the public. Where the cattle market along side the general market used to be the attraction it is now coffee shops and cafes that appeal.