Heatwave alert level raised across Buckinghamshire
Little Marlow Parish Council
Buckinghamshire Council is asking residents to be aware and take sensible precautions now the UK Health Security Agency has issued a ‘level 4 alert’.
This comes after the Met Office updated its weather warnings for this region, with a rare ‘red extreme heat warning’ in force for Buckinghamshire on Monday and Tuesday. Temperatures are currently predicted to reach 35-38c in the area on those days.
It means population-wide adverse health effects might be experienced, not limited to those most vulnerable, which in turn means the Council is taking a number of actions.
- Residents are urged to keep up to date with information and advice from the Met Office, the government and the NHS
- Information from these organisations will be shared on our social media channels across the weekend and into next week
- Please be familiar with basic health advice in hot temperatures, such as how to spot the signs of dehydration, and how to keep young children cool
- Importantly, limit physical exertion during extreme heat to avoid the risk of heat exhaustion
- If you must travel, take common sense precautions such as carrying extra water
- Never leave anyone in a parked vehicle in the hot weather
There is updated advice on the Council’s website.
The Council has also:
- Issued updated advice to local schools, who are taking local decisions on whether to stay open next week – some have already chosen to close or move to remote. learning. Schools will communicate directly with parents and carers and a list of school closures is on the council’s website. Parents and carers should direct questions to their school in the first instance.
- Enacted its Severe Weather Emergency Provision for the homeless. If you find yourself sleeping rough or see someone sleeping out on the streets in Buckinghamshire, contact ‘Streetlink’ online or by calling 0300 500 0914.
- Made provisions for roads impacted by the extreme heat that start to melt. We ask residents to report any instances via FixMyStreet and we can treat the surface with granite dust.
- Moved all waste collections to an earlier start through next week to help keep crews safe when they are working in the extreme temperatures. Rounds will begin at 6am each day next week; please ensure your bin is left outside no later than 6am.
- Echoed the advice from the emergency services – the ground and grass is extremely dry so BBQs and bonfires come with far greater risks; please consider the dangers, likewise around water and water safety.
NHS guidance for how to cope in hot weather; https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/seasonal-health/heatwave-how-to-cope-in-hot-weather/
Clerk to the Parish Council
- 01628 890301
Find Little Marlow Parish Council
Community Office, The Pavilion, Little Marlow, Marlow, Buckinghamshire, SL7 3RS
Please note that by contacting LMPC you are giving consent for the Parish Council to receive your personal details. It may be necessary to pass your details to other government agencies / Councils to answer your query. Your details will not be shared with any other third party organisations. Should you not wish your details to be shared, please indicate this in your enquiry. Please see our Privacy Statements and Data Protection Policies on our website within the publications tab.