Accept and Continue

Cookies on this site

This site uses cookies. For more information, please see our privacy policy.
Skip to main content

Valerie Brownridge

Little Marlow Parish Council Valerie Brownridge

I was born in Aberdeen and lived there until 1979 when I moved to London to join the Diplomatic Service. I was still working for the Diplomatic Service when my husband and I moved to Little Marlow in 1998 and have lived here ever since. I retired from the Foreign Office in 2009 after a 30 year career culminating in my serving as Deputy British Ambassador in Zimbabwe. I decided that I would like to continue in public service and put the skills I had acquired over the years to local use. I therefore stood for the Little Marlow Parish Council in May 2011 and was elected as Councillor. I stood again for election at the May 2015 election which was uncontested. I was elected as Chairman at the Annual Parish Council Meeting in May 2015.

Since joining the Council, I have been actively involved in a number of planning issues affecting the parish, including the Local Plan, the Athletics Track and the plan to build houses on the reserve sites, particularly Abbey Barn North and South. I have worked on the devolution of services to the Parish Council and supported the Clerk in drafting and updating many of our policies and procedures. I am Chairman of the Burial Ground sub-committee and a member of a number of other sub-committees.

I am also involved in other local activities in Little Marlow. I have been a member of the Little Marlow Village Amenities Committee (the Committee which organises the Little Marlow Village Fete) since 2003 and Committee Chairman since 2011. From 2009 till August this year I was Secretary of the Little Marlow Lakes Country Park: Community Partnership, an organisation formed to create a country park in the area around Spade Oak Lake and alongside the Thames.