England’s longest water filled moat surrounds the site which dates back to 1229.
Explore Michelham’s fascinating 800 year history, from its foundation by Augustinian canons, through the destruction caused by the dissolution of the monasteries in Tudor times and into its later life as a country house.
One of the Society’s places to visit in Sussex and ideal for a family day out. As well as the historic house, additional highlights include
- Seven acres of grounds with kitchen garden and medieval herb garden
- Working watermill
- Working forge
- Interactive medieval gallery in the 14th century gatehouse
- Replica Bronze Age roundhouse
- Children’s play area
- Trails, dressing up and hands-on activities throughout the house
- Newly refurbished café and gift shop
- Regular events throughout the year
History of Michelham Priory & the Watermill