Otterham (Prasdowrgi in Cornish) is situated in the north east of Cornwall at the head of the river Ottery.
Much of the parish (3291 acres ) is farmland used predominantly for milk production with the award winning Davidstow Cheese factory nearby. It is sparsely populated with a population density of approximately 0.17 per hectare.
Marshgate, which is shared with St Juliot parish, is the main village in the locality. It has a busy post office and general store with an off-licence, the lottery, faxing, copying, coal, gas, plants etc.etc. Also the excellent Otterham Primary School and pre-school provision with the Little Otters Child Care Centre that are linked by a footpath and share a car park with the Otterham and St Juliot Village Hall, a Big Lottery and Community Funded Project completed in the Autumn of 2014.
Otterham Churchtown is a very small hamlet with the parish Church dedicated to St Denis. A Norman foundation it was extensively rebuilt in the Georgian and Victorian periods and a very little of the medieval church remains. References to "ottram" and "Otrham" are found in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. Here we find the St. Tinney Farm Holidays Campsite with five fishing lakes and access to a circular route of public footpaths that pass through the churchyard and Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) highlighted by English Nature for wild flowers and wildlife. The Cornwall Rivers Project found that the Ottery Valley has 33 hectares of increasingly threatened culm habitat and the Kernick and Ottery Meadows SSSIs were noted for their biological interest. There are many tumuli (burial mounds) and earthworks left by ancient people in the locality together with early monastic and bronze age settlements nearby. Being just four miles from the sea, Tourism is important to the area with many Bed and Breakfast and Holiday cottage businesses within the parish. When carrying out the consultation process for the Parish Action Plan an amazingly diverse range of internet businesses were discovered within the parish.
Another small hamlet Otterham Station straddles the busy Atlantic Highway (A39) and, as the name suggests, once had a Railway Station, with a livestock loading yard attached, that opened in 1870 and was closed in 1966. Cornwall Farmers (Patch and Acre Stores) and Southern Tractors have outlets here. Otter power, based at Rose Park, have several Wind Turbines along the A39.
The Parish Clerk and Responsible Financial Officer:
Mr John Conway
8 St Stephens Hill