Penarth Windsor Bowling Club
History from 1912 to 1941
In October 1912 it was resolved to join the Welsh Bowling Association, but if the initial euphoria over the rapid expansion of the Club had existed, it was most certainly dispelled by the equally rapid worry over financial straits, a problem which was to recur frequently for several decades. At that date there was an overdraft of £400.
In 1914 a Ladies Committee was set up to provide teas after matches.
By 1917 a tennis court had been laid and the Secretary of the Tennis Committee was invited to attend the Committee meeting, without voting powers.
In November 1918 it was decided that the election of Captain and Vice Captain, previously performed by the Committee, should "In future be a perfectly open matter for the AGM". It was also decided that two teams should be run next season.
In 1920 the original bowling green was the site of the tennis court, the present day "Top Green" had been laid and was in use and the "Bottom Green" was also present. This year was also the first year that a member of Windsor represented Wales - HG Hill
In 1921 the pavilion was burnt down, the cause has never been established, but some time before a discussion was held about building a new pavilion and this has been turned down due to a lack of funds. The new pavilion was built in the same year and was in use. The new green was opened in the following year.
In 1924 the now familiar PG1 and PG2 competitions originated with the announcement "That a Private Club League had been formed for Cardiff and District, the competition would be run in two sections and each club would play twelve matches". It was decided unanimously to join. In the same year G Chambers also represented Wales.
In 1926 yet another new pavilion was opened at a cost of £1,200. The ladies were allowed to play their matches against Beechwood Ladies on the new green and in the following year it was laid down that the Ladies be allowed to play on the second green up to 5:30pm, except on a Saturday. It was not until 1928 that the Ladies section was officially recognised and they were allowed to play on the second green on any day that a rink was available.
At the AGM in 1931 it was reported that the Balance Sheet was healthy and that the Private Greens Championship had been won for the second time (assumed to be the PG1).
In 1932, there was a discussion about a tour of Devon and the response was good, although there was no mention of the tour taking place in that year or 1933. However there is a picture of a tour taking place in 1934.In 1932, there was a discussion about a tour of Devon and the response was good, although there was no mention of the tour taking place in that year or 1933. However there is a picture of a tour taking place in 1934.
In 1937 there was some doubt about continuing to play in the Carruthers Shield but after a discussion it was decided that the club should continue for the seasons 1938 and 1939.
The second World War affected the club, but despite this the first team won the Private Greens title for the forth time. The pavilion was used by the WVS for the communal mid-day meal. Belle Vue had been closed and two or three rinks on the lower green were offered to the Belle Vue bowlers. Competitions were cancelled, but the Championship and Handicap resumed in 1941.