Pentewan Valley Parish Council
This past year has seen big changes in the Parish. In addition to taking responsibility for organising and funding cutting of coastal and local footpaths and weed spraying, the Parish Council is now responsible for the Public Toilets in Pentewan. Until the end of our first year the income stream will be an unknown factor. To cover cost of parish activities we have had to increase our precept by an amount that a few years ago most of us would not have believed. We have had little choice but to accept the responsibilities. I am sure as Parish Councillors we will all do our best to ensure that service standards continue at the highest possible level.
Other activities carried out during the year include:
· We have been consulted on 26 planning applications
· Menagwins car park is now open to the public (thanks to Ian Watkins for undertaking a monthly inspection)
· Set up a website
· Obtained grants from:
- Cornwall Council to Produce an emergency plan and purchasing flood resilience equipment
- Cornwall Council's local devolution fund towards the cost of running the toilets
- Cornwall Council (paperless planning grant to cover additional expenditure following the withdrawal of paper plans from Cornwall Council)
- National Association of Local Councils Transparency Grant to cover additional clerks time in setting up the website
· Developed a positive relationship with South West Water over Menagwins Water Treatment Works
· Taken over the toilets in Pentewan
· Facilitated first aid training
· Funded electrical work to enable Pentewan's defibrillator to be installed
· Continue to address speeding concerns throughout the parish including getting Cormac to carry out a RadarClass speed monitoring exercise in Tregorrick
· Meeting with Cormac to address concerns of speeding traffic through Tregorrick
· Running a competition in conjunction with Penrice Academy to design a parish logo
· Welcomed Mike Ward onto the council
· Gave a grant to Oh My Clementine Productions towards the cost of Lost at Sea
· Acquired 50 No Waiting cones free of charge from Cornwall Council
Finally I would like to thank you, the Parish Councillors for giving your time, Julie Larter for helping everything to run so well during the year, and our County Councillor, James Mustoe, for representing us at County level and maintaining the link with our MP Steve Double.
Our year ahead is likely to be challenging. In Pentewan we await the results of charging for the toilets in the hope that we will at least break even. The car park may well be an issue during the coming year.
At the other end of the valley we may well see movement on the Morrison site and perhaps further information relating to the Trewhiddle Farm Development. Menagwins will be closely monitored during the year and we hope that odour levels will be considerably reduced. Speeding traffic through Tregorrick continues to be a concern and the solution to this will also be targeted throughout the year.
Cllr Derek Yeo
18 May 2016