Polbathic Village Hall
The original Polbathic Hall was a former army hospital hut and was bought in 1921 for £90 by blacksmith, Mr James Couling, for the village. It was transported from Tregantle Fort by Mr William Foster’s steam wagon. The men and boys of the village erected it on a pile of bricks and the building was painted green. It was used every day as a recreation room, a library and, when the local chapel was out of action for rebuilding after war damage, the little green hut as it was fondly called, was solemnised and used for weddings and services.
One source tells us it was first used as a reading room for men returning from the trenches in the First World War. In latter years it has been widely used for a number of activities and social events including a snooker team, award winning pantomimes, dances, quizzes, film shows and also wedding venues and birthday parties. It has hosted parties in honour of the Queen’s Jubilee and celebrated the Millennium.
There has always been a strong community spirit in Polbathic and when the old Hall, after serving the community for 90 years finally succumbed to age, it was decided to build a new Hall on the site.
Keeping It Local
Local builders Steve Clements and Ian Sellers took on the task of building the new Hall and whenever possible used local craftsmen and businesses. The new building was completed within a year, and now Polbathic can offer a state of the art eco building for community events and other activities in their new Hall.
The new Polbathic Village Hall was opened in November 2012 and the capital build was funded by Viridor Credits for £297,000. The land the Hall stands on was also purchased with grant funding from Viridor for £10,000.
For the third Party funding we were strongly supported by our local parish Councils and a great many other organisations…