Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

40 Anniversary

Portsmouth Area Talking News 40 Anniversary

Making sure everyone is kept in the 'news loop'

Portsmouth Area Talking Newspapers has now celebrated 40 years of making sure that everyone can keep up to date with the news from their area. Reporter ELLIE PILMOOR speaks to volunteers to find out why they are keen to keep going

Keeping up with the news is something that people nowadays can do quite easily.

With 24-hour news channels, the internet and smart phones, news from around the world is always available.

But, if you are blind or partially sighted, you can often feel left out.

However, a dedicated team of volunteers makes sure everyone can be kept in the loop with what's going on in their area.

A total of 50 people make up Portsmouth Area Talking News, a charity which records stories published in The News and other publications for residents with sight problems to listen to.

This year, it is celebrating its 40th anniversary with members and the users of the service.

The group met at its recording studio. in Stubbington Avenue, North End, Portsmouth at the back of Portsmouth Association For The Blind.

With a cake and a big celebration, the team is hoping to carry on for another 40 years.

Stuart Waterman, who became a member of Portsmouth Area Talking News in 2003, has risen through the ranks.

He is a team leader of the blue team which records The News.

The 36 year old, who lives in Bramshott Road, Southsea, said he was over the moon the

group has managed 40 years although he isn't surprised.

He says: ‘There are so many people who use our services so I am not necessarily shocked that we have reached it.

‘People are always saying how much they love our services and how we keep them up to date with their communities.

‘One lady even said when she listens to our tapes it is like having a friend round her house.

‘She sits down. makes a cup of tea and listens to the news.

‘When I hear stories like that, it really inspires me to carry on. It‘s pretty amazing to think the group has been going for this long.

‘It makes it only a few years older than me.’

Stuart has no personal reason for joining but thinks being a volunteer is important.

‘I am a firm believer in doing some voluntary work,‘ he adds.

‘This line of work is a bit different and unusual and that's what attracted me to it.

‘This service is something that is extremely beneficial for the people that need it.

‘I also love to talk a lot which is obviously useful, so it seemed like a no-brainer.'

Every week different teams of volunteers meet at the charity’s base.

In the studio, they record their readings of the different articles.

The recordings are then put on a computer and transferred to a USB stick, before they are posted out to people who use the service.

Users listen to the audio files and then send the computer devices back so teams can erase and reuse them.

Portsmouth Area Talking News reaches out to around 400 people with sight problems.

As well as The News, members read and record editions of Navy News, Women’s Choices magazine and other local titles.

It also carries out quarterly recordings of Yesterday magazine and produces The Wren

magazine for blind ex-Wrens and female naval personnel three times a year. And the volunteers love it.

Jennifer Pierce, a reader of the Navy News. says it is like being part of a family.

She says: ‘Doing what we do means we spend quite a lot of time together and we have grown close over the years.

‘To reach 40 years is amazing and l have no doubt we will reach another 40.

‘Our users love our service and we are more than happy to carry on.‘

Chairwoman June Munday from Titchfield agrees.

She adds: ‘What we do is of a huge benefit to people.

‘It brings a little ray of sunshine into their lives because it helps them connect to the outside world.

‘Local radio is great. But it doesn't tell them what is happening in North End or what is happening on their doorstep. It's great to be able to keep them up to date with current affairs.‘

At the 40th anniversary celebrations. Lord Mayor of Portsmouth Lynne Stagg cut the cake and made a toast.

She paid tribute to the group and congratulated it on its success.

Councillor Stagg said: ‘It is a wonderful service and keeps people from feeling isolated.

‘Having seen the studio and all the hard work that goes into it, I think it is just amazing.

They serve the people in Portsmouth and further afield in such a unique way and to have done it for 40 years is amazing.‘

The Portsmouth Area Talking News is always looking for volunteers.

For more information on the group Contact 0777088388 or visit patn.org.uk

Large Image 

CELEBRATION: Lord Mayor, Lynne Stagg cuts the birthday cake to celebrate the 40th birthday of the Portsmouth Area Talking News

Picture Nick Young (132648-02)

JOHN WILKINSON

As one of the founding members, John Wilkinson, has been with the Portsmouth Area Talking News every step of the way.

The 68-year-old from Fareham, is now the president and he is pleased with how big the group has got. He says: ‘It is wonderful that this year we are celebrating our 40thanniversary.

‘It is such a great feat for a group of people who are just reading news.

‘We help so many people who might feel as though they are left in darkness.

‘Giving them the chance to see what is happening right on their doorstep is satisfying and I would not be surprised if we made another 40 years.

‘We have grown as a group and it is wonderful how close we all are and how we can work as a team to bring our users some ray of light in their lives.

‘When we first began, I wasn’t sure how big we would become but all we cared about was serving the community, and we have done that.’

PATN HISTORY

The Portsmouth Area Talking News began in 1973.

Foundling members, including the current president, John Wilkinson, decided to set up the group when the government decided that there was a need for visually impaired people to be able to access local news reported in the papers.

The group has always  worked out of its Stubbington Avenue studio (this is not true, we actually started in the premises of the old hospital radio studios at the Royal Portsmouth Hospital, recording when hospital radio was off air), and has upgraded its equipment with the times.

Originally, the recordings were made on to audio cassettes and they were sent out in this format for over 30 years.

But, in 2008, the group had to upgrade and it moved on to memory sticks.

This change made it one of the first in the south of England, and it involved their listeners learning a new technique.

Small Image

FROM THE PAST: Members from the Portsmouth Area Talking News in their recording studio in 1995