Selside is a community of around 100 scattered farms and other dwellings on the south-eastern edge of the Lake District. The largest cluster of housing is in Watchgate, close to the southern boundary of the parish, some 5 miles north of Kendal. The A6 runs north through Selside rising to around 1400 feet [over 400m] on its route to Shap and Penrith. It used to be the main west coast road route to Scotland. Today it carries mainly local traffic.
Apart from traffic on the A6, Selside is a quiet, elevated area bounded by Lake District hills to the west, and the Whinfell ridge to the north-east. Selside’s farms and fields are mainly dedicated to sheep, together with some cattle. Some farms have diversified to egg production. Many of the old farms and barns have been converted to residential use or holiday accommodation.
This website is run under the auspices of Selside Memorial Hall, which serves not only Selside but the parish of Fawcett Forest to the north, and part of Whinfell to the east. The parishes all have small populations and local government is in the form of parish meetings. Selside falls within the South Lakeland District within the county of Cumbria. Before 1974 reorganisation it was in the county of Westmorland, a name kept alive in various ways, for instance in the name of the local newspaper, the Westmorland Gazette.
Within this website you will find information regarding the Memorial Hall and the Parish Church. Selside Endowed Primary School has its own website. Potential visitors will find links to helpful local information.
Selside also features on Facebook.