CORONAVIRUS: Updated 5th October.
Selside Church is open for Sunday services but is locked at other times. Social distancing is observed, and face masks are to be worn. Seating is in alternate pews with households able to sit together.
The Church is following the policies adopted by Carlisle Diocese and The Church of England. The government has imposed conditions on public worship.
Revd Tricia Rogers has been appointed to lead the Beacon Team, and will be leading Harvest Praise at 6pm on Sunday 11th October. The Annual Parochial Church Meeting is to be held on Sunday 18th October, following the 10am morning service.
- HARVEST PRAISE: You are invited to bring non perishable foods, ie tins etc. If desired, donations can be made to the Bishop’s Harvest Appeal. This will support Christian Aid’s work in Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories monitoring interaction between the inhabitants and the Israeli military. Many of the inhabitants are shepherds needing to access their own land for their livelihoods. The Harvest Appeal also supports the Mothers’ Union work in the Democratic Republic of Congo that helps women to escape poverty and break the cycles of gender-based violence by providing education and training. After the service the Harvest items will be given to the King’s Food Bank.
- ANNUAL PAROCHIAL CHURCH MEETING: Business will involve the election of Church Wardens of which there is currently 1 vacancy. It will also include the election of an Electoral Roll Officer. This position is currently vacant and it is not necessary to be on the PCC to take this on. It simply requires ensuring once a year that names of those who have moved away or deceased are removed from the roll and newcomers have the opportunity to be included. If anyone would like to be Treasurer to the PCC, this position may also be available; if interested please either come to the meeting or contact Mark Held, 823260, Simon Elliott or Denise Clarke.
Staying in touch: If you would like to be added to the mailing list for Selside Church please email us or use the contact page. Local Church members are being encouraged to share a prayer each day.
The parish magazine is Skelsmergh, Selside and Longsleddale Church and Community News.
£6 (For postal copies add £7)
Please make cheques payable to: Church and Community News. Download the form below and send to:
Selside LA8 9JY
Selside’s parish church is dedicated to St Thomas. There is a sign on the A6 giving direction to the church which is about half a mile to the east of the main road. There is a service on most Sundays. Morning services are followed by refreshments. Hymns are sung, usually with the accompaniment of our excellent modest organ.
We are part of Cumbria's ecumenical partnership between the Anglican Diocese of Carlisle, the United Reformed Church and the Methodist Church. Our congregation comes from a variety of denominational backgrounds. Our church is the only Christian place of worship in the civil parish.
The church is part of the Beacon Team of parishes and is in Kendal Deanery in the Diocese of Carlisle.
A chapel was built in 1709 in the burial ground, overlooking Selside Hall, which itself dates from the late 15th century. This was replaced by the present building in 1838. The church was further extended with the addition of a tower in 1894. There is a fine East Window  depicting Christ the Good Shepherd in scenery echoing the eastward view of the Howgills from the churchyard outside.
- 1st Sunday: 10am Holy Communion
- 2nd Sunday: 6pm Evensong [Book of Common Prayer]
- 3rd Sunday: 10am Holy Communion [joined by Skelsmergh, or at Skelsmergh]
- 4th Sunday: 10am Service of the Word
- 5th Sunday [when occurring]: 10.30am Joint Holy Communion at one of the churches in the Beacon Team
Belonging to Selside Church:
The church is open to all and welcomes everyone. Those who wish to play an active part in the parish and be involved in the selection of the Churchwardens and members of the Parochial Church Council, who work alongside the Team Rector in supporting the church and its worship and other activities, may join the Electoral Roll. The forms are attached to this page for download. Please use this website's Contact Page if you have further questions about the church and we will pass them on.