Selside Parish and Memorial Hall
Strimming the churchyard. From 8am, Monday 11th June
Selside’s parish church is dedicated to St Thomas. There is a sign on the A6 giving direction to the church which is about half a mile to the east of the main road. There is a service on most Sundays. Morning services are followed by refreshments. Hymns are sung, usually with the accompaniment of our excellent modest organ.
We are part of Cumbria's ecumenical partnership between the Anglican Diocese of Carlisle, the United Reformed Church and the Methodist Church. Our congregation comes from a variety of denominational backgrounds. Our church is the only Christian place of worship in the civil parish.
The church is part of the Beacon Team of parishes and is in Kendal Deanery in the Diocese of Carlisle.
A chapel was built in 1709 in the burial ground, overlooking Selside Hall, which itself dates from the late 15th century. This was replaced by the present building in 1838. The church was further extended with the addition of a tower in 1894. There is a fine East Window  depicting Christ the Good Shepherd in scenery echoing the eastward view of the Howgills from the churchyard outside.
- 1st Sunday: 10am Holy Communion
- 2nd Sunday: 6pm Evensong [Book of Common Prayer]
- 3rd Sunday: 10am Holy Communion [joined by Skelsmergh, or at Skelsmergh]
- 4th Sunday: 10am Service of the Word
- 5th Sunday [when occurring]: 10.30am Joint Holy Communion at one of the churches in the Beacon Team
SELSIDE CHURCH FUND RAISING: AFTERNOON TEA
We extend our thanks to Jen and Gerry O'Donovan for the fireside Afternoon Teas which they have hosted at the their home over the winter months.