Accept and Continue

Cookies on this site

This site uses cookies. For more information, please see our privacy policy.
Skip to main content

#11-1 12th February 2021

“I’m very sorry that I’m not able to take part in your radio show. But, I wanted to say thanks for helping people to stay connected during these difficult times, and helping to celebrate the things that are happening in the Shed Movement country-wide to reduce loneliness. I wish you the very best for the work you’re planning in Cornwall.”

Baroness Barran MBE (Minister of Loneliness)   Parliamentary Under Secretary of State  (Minister for Civil Society and DCMS)

This radio show on Source FM is to help have more Men's, Women's & Community Sheds opened in Cornwall.

Men’s Sheds provide people with a space to work together on practical projects. At the moment, nearly all are locked down. Although some are undertaking jobs in the community and helping with vaccinations programme.   The people who go     -Shedders-     work on projects for themselves, other charities, and others in the community

There are over 600 of these Sheds across the UK. In Cornwall there are only 1 or 2 Men’s Sheds we know about  – And based on most other Counties similar to Cornwall we would expect to see 20 to 30

In our virtual  studio for this show we had Shedders Mike King from the St Just in Penwith Men’s Shed, and Nick Hunt from the Tavistock area Men in Sheds. Also there was Rachel Meadows – The UK Men’s Sheds Association newly appointed Volunteer & Community Development  Manager. We had pre-recorded features from Dr Julian Abel, and Cornish language extracts from Mathi Clarke. Our thanks to all our contributors.

To hear the Show - On demand at https://anchor.fm/uk-mens-sheds

Follow-up Meeting 23rd February 2021 – 2pm

The follow-up Zoom meeting will provide more information about Men’s Sheds, how they work, what you need to do set them up, and (most importantly) to answer questions you may have about Men’s Sheds

To register for this Zoom meeting on the 23rd February, please email shedhappens@ukmsa.org.uk as soon as possible. If you want help using Zoom, or information as to how you can join the meeting if you don’t have Internet access, please call Patrick Abrahams  on 07494-120704.

Sheds featured in the Show

Tavistock area Men in Sheds

St Just in Penwith Men's Shed

Geevor Tin Mine

Rhins Men's Shed

Okehampton Men in Sheds

Frome Men's Shed

Stonehaven Men's Shed

Men's shed volunteers send used prosthetic limbs to Africa

Legs4Africa 

Books mentioned in the show

The Compassion Project: A case for hope and humankindness from the town that beat loneliness

by Julian Abel and Lindsay Clarke (ISBN 978-1783253364 )

Survival of the Friendliest: Understanding Our Origins and Rediscovering Our Common Humanity

by Brian Hare and Vanessa Woods  (ISBN 978-1786078834 )

Humankind: A Hopeful History

by Rutger Bregman ( ISBN  978-1408898932 )

Films & Podcast mentioned in the show

Podcast: Survival of the Kindest: How to live a long, healthy & happy life ...

Film: My Octopus Teacher

A filmmaker forges an unusual friendship with an octopus living in a South African kelp forest, learning as the animal shares the mysteries of her world

Research – Frome Compassion project

Reducing emergency hospital admissions

Telegraph - The town that cured loneliness - See attachment at the bottom of this page

Music tracks

"The Shed Song" - Buddy Wasisname and the Other Fellers

“No Hopers, Jokers & Rogues.” - Fishermen’s Friends

"Dreams" - Fleetwood Mac

'Shed Happens' - Even if you're self isolating #11-1 12th February 2021
Shed Happens Trailer 12-Feb-2021.mp3