Shute Parish Council
Shute parish is situated in the Newbridges ward of East Devon District Council in Devon and is in the Tiverton and Honiton parliamentary constituency. Shute is also within the East Devon Area of Outstanding Beauty. There are six centres of population with a total of just over 500 electors:- Shute, Whitford (the largest centre of population), Umborne, Seaton Junction, Hampton and the outlying area to the north of the A35.
The land at Shute was first recorded in the 13th Century with the original manor house built in 1380. Much of this building was demolished in 1787 to build a new Shute House with the remains of the original building becoming a tenanted farmhouse or Barton. Shute Barton is now owned by the National Trust and the Gatehouse by the Landmark Trust. Shute also has had a church since at least 1205 and is known know for the pair of pillars just off the A35.
Whitford is on the west bank of the River Axe. The manor was established by 1086 and named after the local White Friars community and became part of the Shute estate in 1554. There is a regular bus service to Axminster and Seaton and active social life with the Village Hall with many activities, village Produce Association shows and canoe races.
The station now called Seaton Junction was opened in 1860 on the Exeter extension of the London and South Western Railway land closed in 1966 in the Beeching cuts.
Umborne is a very rural community scattered along the Umborne valley and is lucky to have the Umborne Hall where many social events take place.
The parish is long and thin in shape, with Whitford in the east and Umborne in the west. The Parish Council made up of members from all parts of the parish.