Ok, I understand
Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. For more information, please see our privacy policy.
Skip to main content

Sileby Bowls Club

Mens Results (QUORN)

Thursday August 10th Last nights match was against Quorn Millers, It was a close game except for one rinks heavy loss, the final score was Sileby 47, Quorn 69. I feel I need to add a very unsavoury incident. All the cobs, prepared by Bron, were sold, and the kitty was £4.50 short, the price per cob is £1.00 so where did the fifty pence come from. Seems we will have to change the way they are sold. Many Thanks to Bron for preparing the cobs etc it is very much appreciated.

Saturday August 12th. Yesterday's match was away at Brookfield with only 12 players, so Gordon arranged for 4 triples. We played 21 ends with 1 shot on the first 2 ends. Brookfield were very strong and took the match with 3 winning rinks and a drawn rink, the final score being Sileby 69 and Brookfield 85. Tea, after the game was a strange affair, on each table was a plate with six sausage rolls, a plate with two different cheeses (wrapped up) a packet of ham (In package) a loaf of bread (Unopened) and a tub of butter, plus a packet of crisps each, but there was plenty for everybody, so it was a D.I.Y. tea. Just one thing I missed the cake so had to wait till I got home.

Monday August 14th. Today's match was against the Romans, Fosseway, Syston. I didn't play as I went out for dinner with friends, "Yes I have one or two" at The Lancaster at Desford. On the way back Jenny and I called in to watch the game, and it was a good one. The final score was Sileby 63 and Fosseway 36, so that gives us 8 points putting us 5 points in front of The Riversiders (Sutton Bonnington) but they have there points to add, if any. Good win lads.

Thursday August 17th. Sileby played the last but one match last night against Queens Park (Carilloners). The weather was warm and sunny but by a couple of ends to go the light was going fast, around eight thirty. The final score was Sileby 85 and Queens Park 49 that is 8 points to 2. That result will reverse positions putting Sileby above Queens Park and hopefully out of the relegation zone . Well Done to all.   

Saturday August 19th. Today's match was at Phoenix and a first for me, I was acting captain while Gordon is on holiday. We played four triples of eighteen ends and I was skip on our rink along with John Allen and Ann McCann. Against us was Tom Moss, Eileen Forster and Danny Hilferty was skip. We had a lovely afternoon and the tea was great. As captain I drew out the first raffle ticket and picked my own, chocolates. Second prize was Alan North for Phoenix, and I said John Allen should win as well, all the Alan's, guess what, he did. Well we won our rink 21 to 11 but lost the match 61 to 71.  

Monday August 21st. Today's very important match was against the Riversiders (who have been top of the division for most of the season), the match was played at Sileby which was a bit of an advantage for us. I have not got the final score but Frank, Richard S and Duncan won comfortably, Mick, Richard W and Keith came back from being well down to win. Leaving Graham, Myself and Joe who were in front till the last two ends, going into the final end 12 all. We lost the last end by one shot. I must say at this point that Graham and Joe played very well and I let the side down. If we had won we would be division champions, but as you can see we can still be caught with eight points still to be gained. The points for the game were Sileby 6 and Sutton Bonnington 2 so a very good win. Going into the last game in a fortnight's time the positions are Sileby 74 points, Sutton Bonnington 69 points and Wymeswold 56 points. Well done to the rest of the team, and good luck a week on Monday against the Steamers (Wymeswold) as I won't be there nor Gordon and Mick, we will be on the Brush Bowls Tour to Cromer.

Saturday August 26th. Todays venue was Belgrave and again the weather has been kind to us. Today was a two o'clock start and we played four rinks "Not my favourite" with tea and biscuits after ten ends. After the match the tea was a cheese cob, a ham cob and a packet of crisps. the final score being Belgrave 69 and Sileby 63. 

Thursday August 31st. Last night was the final match for the Swallows this season and we finished with a heavy defeat against Fosseway at Syston. All four rinks lost, the last few ends being played in the dark. The final score was Swallows 41 and Fosseway 90.  Only Saturdays left and the 2 games against Quorn, Captains Day and Closing Day. 

Saturday September 30th. Quorn v Sileby. The first of the yearly home and away games was played yesterday in the rain at home and Sileby won the first leg by 27 shot the score being 110 to Sileby and 83 to Quorn. This gives us a good lead going into the second game next Saturday at Quorn. Very well done to Linda and Graham who did the tea which was highly praised by Steve the Quorn captain. We had jacket potato and beans followed by Apple strudel and custard which was lovely considering the weather.

I hope I've got all the spelin right as Graham will soon let me know, if not. I've tried to use easy spelin.  

Sunday October 1st I was asked to mark for Joe and Kevin who this morning at eleven o'clock were playing the final of the club singles championship. The weather hadn't been very good earlier but stayed dry for the rest of the day. Kevin got off to a good start and after five ends was 9 shots to nil up. From then on Joe never really got into it the final score being Kevin 22 and Joe 9. Well done Kevin.

After a cup of tea they went on to play the final of the Two Wood with John Allen marking as I had to go. The game was very close but again Kevin won 21shots to 19. Again well done Kevin and maybe next year Joe will be your turn.

Saturday October 7th. Today we played the second leg of our fixture against Quorn, at Quorn for the Sylvia Wells Trophy. This week we managed 6 rinks of triples instead of 5 last week. The weather was cold and overcast and threatened rain all afternoon but stayed off till about the last two ends. The final score was Sileby 119 and Quorn 90, again a very good win and we take the trophy back to Sileby. Quorn put on a lovely tea that being ham salad with potato's, followed by trifle of which our table got seconds. After the raffle was the presentation of the trophy by Sylvia to Gordon (See photos). A lovely afternoon was had by all. Special thanks to Steve Smith for making us very welcome.

Sunday October 8th. Today was the last day of the season, and 18 members split into triples, with names pulled out of the hat. The game was played over 15 ends, playing for the Memorial Trophy, which was won by Alan Dawson (Lead) Perry Gratton (Number two) and Kevin Taylor (Skip). The weather was kind and it was quite pleasant. After the game we had a light tea and a collection for Air Ambulance. This will be my final report. Over and Out!!! 

The Presentation The Presentation
Quorn Tea Quorn Tea
Closing Day tea Closing Day tea
Well Done Gordon Well Done Gordon