Smarden Parish Council
Good Neighbour Scheme
We are a registered charity which supports local people by:
- providing practical help, quickly, informally and confidentially
- offering assistance and/or referring people to another service
Our regular services are mostly free and include:
- Drop in and Chat every Monday: Charter Hall 9.30 – 11.30 a.m.
- Gentle Health Walks: Mondays at 10.15 a.m. from the Charter Hall (or after breakfast at Zion Chapel on the first Monday of the month)
- Hearing aid batteries and advice: the Hi Kent charity normally attends the Drop-in between 10.00 and 11.30 a.m. on the first Monday of each month (except Bank Holidays when it is the second Monday)
- Volunteer Car Serices: contact Cathy Meredith at least 48 hours in advance to book via 07521797343
To Headcorn: every Thursday morning at 10.00 a.m. returning around 11.00 a.m.
To Tenterden: one Tuesday and one Thursday morning trip per month at 10.00 a.m returning around noon.
- Prescription collection (Headcorn surgery): contact Cathy if you cannot collect a prescription. We normally collect from Headcorn on Thursdays so please order it in time (the surgery needs a minimum of 3 days notice)
- Prescription collection (Charing surgery): contact Barbara Marchant on 770359 if you cannot collect your prescription. Barbara deliver requests to the surgery and collect awaiting prescriptions on Monday afternoons. If any of the items are 'controlled drugs' Barbara will need authorisation from the patient to sign for them. Charing Surgery offers a free delivery service on a Tuesday or Thursday once a month for a routine repeat prescription
- Meals on Wheels from Monday to Friday; contact Cathy on 07521797343
- Emergency Car Service: contact Cathy if you need transport to an appointment and family or friends are unable to take you. If Cathy is unable to take your call please contact one of the following who will try to find a volunteer: Gill Bromley 770451, Janet Cameron, 770552, Jocelyn Craig 770854, Marion Hudson 770345 or Eric Spear 770350. We cannot guarantee someone will be available but will do our best to assist.
- Befriending: feeling lonely or a bit fed up? contact Cathy if you’d like a regular visit or phone call from one of our volunteers