Smarden Parish Council
Minnis and Cornes Meadow
Managed by the Parish Council the Minnis and Cornes Meadow provide recreational facilities in the village centre including cricket and football pitches, a children’s playground, a tennis court, a skatepark, a Youth Club and a magnificent Sports Pavilion opened in 2017. The Youth Club building is managed by the Smarden Youth Association and the Sports Pavilion is managed by the Smarden Sports Association.
The Minnis and Cornes Meadow both registered with Fields in Trust, a national charity which operates throughout the UK to safeguard recreational spaces and campaign for better statutory protection for all kinds of outdoor sites. For further information see http://www.fieldsintrust.org/FIT.aspx
The name Minnis is an ancient Kentish name derived from the French, ‘gemeinisse’ meaning shared or common land. In former times The Minnis would have been used for common grazing, but in more recent times it has been used for fairs and recreation. The first known record appears in the Church Records, September 21st 1581, when Robert Adams, whose house was at the `Menyse-stile’, was `presented’ `on being found with one ffraunces Nobell and ffrydewyth Taylor, the wife of Rychard Taylor &c in his barn after dark’. In 1927 the Minnis was sold by the Gilletts estate and subsequently purchased by the Parish Council, from Mrs.Wyatt and Mrs Rathbone, for £190 + £20 lumber evaluation. In 1965 The Parish Council purchased Cornes Meadow from Ron Cornes for the nominal sum of £500, with the agreement that the name would be retained.