Ok, I understand
Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. For more information, please see our privacy policy.
Skip to main content

Smarden Parish Council

Local public services

Public service Contact details

Police:  always call the police if you witness anything suspicious.  However small, it may be part of a wider criminal activity and provide valuable evidence which could help the police to catch the criminals

999 in an emergency or to report a crime in progress

101 to report any other crime

Police Community Support Officer:  phone 101 and leave a  message


Doctors: there are surgeries in Headcorn and Charing

Headcorn: 01622 890294.  Prescriptions:  01622 892610


Charing:  01233 714490 


1) Post or hand in your repeat slip to the surgery

2) Fax your repeat slip to 01233 713329

3) E-mail directly to charing.ft747@nhs.net



Citizens Advice Bureau:  Ashford and Tenterden

Ashford:  01233 626185

Tenterden 01580 762371



Daycare Centre (Tenterden) : a charity for older residents, currently provides transport to Smarden residents, aged over 55,  on Tuesdays.  The Day Centre, in Station Road,  is open 10.00 a.m. - 3.00 p.m. Monday – Friday. It provides a two course lunch and teas and coffee all day as well as a range of activities and outings. Phone the Centre and they will send someone to visit to check your eligibility. Transport is not free but is, hopefully, affordable. 



Defibrillators:  there are 24/7 accessible defibrillators outside the Charter Hall, Flying Horse and at the Sports Pavilion.  In an emergency, phone 999 and then  just get someone to go to the site, open the case (ignore the alarm) and, when with the patient,  open the defibrillator which will give clear audible instructions.  They really are very simple to use.

Fire and Rescue: free home safety advice and services:  a dedicated team of experts can assess the needs of older or vulnerable people and work with them to improve their safety.  This may include fitting of special safety devices such as smoke alarms for the deaf and hard of hearing. 

Call a home safety adviser on Freephone 0800 923 7000 or e-mail home@kent.fire-uk.org


Flooding: Smarden is prone to flooding.  You can sign up for alerts from the Environment Agency.  See also information about Parish Flood Warden system and River Beult on the Emergency plan page;  see Appendix 4 and on the Environment page


Hearing Aid aftercare, advice and battery supply:  the Hi Kent charity visits Smarden Charter Hall on a Monday morning between 10.00 and 11.30 a.m. once a month normally the first Monday in the month (except Bank Holidays) 


Hi Kent East Kent Resource Centre, 46 Northgate, Canterbury CT1 1BE

01227 760046 www.hikent.org.uk

Information, Advice and Guidance Service: known previously as the Care Navigator the service is aimed at over 50s.  Provides  help and support to find your way around the health and social care services.  Will assist with practical help including grab rails and practical devices for your home as well as helping you to complete forms eg Blue Badge, Attendance Allowance etc

01233 665535



Library services:  a Mobile Library visits Smarden on alternative Tuesdays. Flying Horse 3.55 - 4.05 p.m. and Charter Hall 4.20 - 4.50 p.m.  There are also libraries in Ashford, Tenterden, Charing and Headcorn. If you are housebound books of your choice can be delivered to your home by a volunteer.  Most services, including the Ask a Kent Librarian information service, as well as the catalogue, can be accessed on-line.


Meals on Wheels:  hot meals can be delivered directly to your door between 11.00a.m.and 2.00 p.m., 7 days per week, 365 days per year, through the Kent County Council's  service. 

Smarden Good Neighbour Scheme also offers a service from Monday to Friday with meals provided by Smarden School (term time) and the Flying Horse (school holidays).


For KCC contact Apetito on 0800 066 2271


For Smarden Good Neighbour Scheme contact Cathy via 07521 797343

Mediation service:  provides professional help and support with neighbourhood disputes, community mediation, family mediation, conflict in schools, peer mediation etc. Sponsored by Ashford Borough Council



01233 896237

Power cuts:  phone for an update or to report a power cut.  You can also register as a priority if you are any of the following:

  • of pensionable age
  • disabled
  • chronically ill
  • hearing impaired or deaf
  • visually impaired or blind
  • young baby in your household
  • requiring nursing care
  • dependent on medical equipment

It doesn’t necessarily mean that  UK Power can get your power back more quickly but you will get:

  • A priority number that you can call 24 hours a day if you havea  power cut
  • Regular text message or phone updates during a  power cut
  • A welcome booklet
  • Extra support from the British Red Cross to visit your home during an emergency (they will check with you first)


For other information including how to register as a  priority see http://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/internet/en/power-cuts/

Refuse and recycling:  Ashford Borough Council provides a bin collection service on Mondays and Thursdays which can include garden waste for a small annual fee.  The Council also operates a bulk waste service and has a tip in Ashford.  See also Tidy Village subpage of Environment section of this website


Trading standards: to report unresolved issues regarding merchandise, to report scams etc