Smarden Parish Council
CHILD AND VULNERABLE ADULTS PROTECTION POLICY
SMARDEN PARISH COUNCIL IS COMMITTED TO THE HEALTH, WELL BEING AND SAFETY OF ALL CHILDREN, YOUNG PEOPLE UNDER THE AGE OF 18 AND VULNERABLE ADULTS WHO ARE EITHER RESIDENT IN OR VISITING THE PARISH.
None of the activities of the Parish Council involves any Councillor coming into contact with children or vulnerable adults. However, all Councillors are asked to remember that it is their responsibility to ensure that:
• Their behaviour is appropriate at all times
• They observe the rules established for the safety and security of young and vulnerable people
• They follow the procedures in the event of suspicion, disclosure or allegation of abuse
• They recognise the position of trust in which they have been placed
In the event of their being approached by a member of the public, young person, child, or vulnerable adult on any matter concerning a resident in, or person visiting the village, a Code of Behaviour is detailed below and it is essential that Councillors adhere to it.
CODE OF BEHAVIOUR
• Do put this Code into practice at all times
• Do treat everyone with dignity and respect
• Do set an example you would wish others to follow
• Do treat all people equally
• Do ensure more than one other adult is present at all times when dealing with a young person or vulnerable adult
• Do advise young people or vulnerable adult who they can talk to, if asked, about any concerns they may have
• Do make everyone aware of the Parish Council’s child and vulnerable adult protection procedures, as outlined in this policy: young people, vulnerable adults, parents and other volunteers
• Do remember someone else might misinterpret your actions, no matter how well intentioned
• Do take any allegations or concerns of abuse seriously and refer to the Parish Council
• Do Not trivialise any reports of abuse
• Do Not let allegations, suspicions or concerns about abuse go unreported
• Do Not just rely on your good name to protect you.
SAFEGUARDING CHILDREN AND VULNERABLE ADULTS
Smarden Parish Council provides a play area at the Minnis with play equipment and a skate park on Cornes Meadow for the young people of the parish.
All children and young people under 18 using these facilities remain the responsibility of their parents or guardians whilst using the facilities.
Any concerns regarding the safety of children or vulnerable adults in the village should be reported immediately to:
The relevant authority, more information can be found at: http://www.kent.gov.uk/education-and-children/protecting-children/report-abuse
or if applicable to: The Chairman of the Parish Council
Telephone – 01233770388
If he is not available please contact any member of the Parish Council. Details are on the Parish Council Website and in the Parish Magazine
PROCEDURE TO BE FOLLOWED BY A MEMBER OF SMARDEN PARISH COUNCIL IN THE EVENT OF A CONCERN BEING REPORTED TO HIM OR HER
Councillors will report any issues to the relevant authority immediately.