Ok, I understand
Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. For more information, please see our privacy policy.
Skip to main content

St James' Church

About Us

Our Church

St James' Church in Little Milton was built in 1844 by John Hayward of Exeter, who also designed the Albert Museum in Exeter and the Hall in the Chapel Quad Pembroke College, Oxford. The west tower was added by Hayward in 1861. Set on high ground the church commands a fine view over the surrounding landscape. The church design is a 14th century style with a single nave and chancel under one roof. The oldest feature is the drain of a medieval piscine from the former chapel. The stained glass windows were produced between 1853 and 1869.

The church has a peal of six bells which were cast in 1867 and a sanctus bell of 1832. In 1999 the six bells were retuned and rehung with new fittings within the original bell frame in time to ring in the new Millennium.

Our Benefice

St James’ church is one of three in the Benefice of Great Milton, Little Milton and The Haseleys, situated to the east of Oxford among the rolling fields of the Chiltern Hills. The other two churches are St Mary’s in Great Milton and St Peter’s in Great Haseley. Much of the area’s history is associated with its rich farmland, with references in the Domesday Book and connections with Edward II and Edward IV, the latter granting Haseley Manor to the Dean and Canons of St George’s Chapel within Windsor Castle. Our parishes are within the Deanery of Aston and Cuddesdon, which is itself part of the Archdeaconry of Dorchester in the Diocese of Oxford.

Simon Cronk is our Rector and leads us in our worship, so that we can be closer to God and share God’s love in our community.

Our Vision

  • Serve the living Lord, actively supporting the community in whatever way we can to make our Benefice a beautiful place to live and worship.
  • Worship God and help each other on our journey to learn more of the love of God through scripture, study, prayer, and service.
  • Further develop our church and community where disciples of Jesus Christ are invited, nurtured and incorporated.
  • Seek to be active as a Christian fellowship in the community, rather than just waiting for people to come to us.
  • Actively encourage the partnership of clergy and laity.
  • Value the relationships and shared resources available throughout the Benefice.
  • Value and place a high priority on the links with the two schools in the Benefice.