St Nicholas at wade with Sarre PC
St Nicholas-at-Wade is both a village and a civil parish in the Thanet District of Kent.The village name derives from its location on the western border of the Isle of Thanet which was originally separated from the Kent mainland. Before the channels of the River Wantsum and River Stour silted up, it would have been possible to 'wade' across from this point over a ford. In Roman times the channel was navigable and probably busy, with the Saxon Shore Forts of Regulbium (Reculver) and Rutupiae (Richborough) close by. Remains of Roman shipbuilding yards are said to have been found between St Nicholas-at-Wade and nearby Sarre.The 13th Century church of St Nicholas, after which the parish is named, was a chapel of ease for St Mary's Church at Reculver. The first rector recorded was Adam de Brancaster in 1294. Built in flint, the church has some fine 16th century brasses, a carved oak pulpit dated 1615, and the coat of arms of King George III.The neighbouring village of Sarre, appointed a 'limb' of the Cinque Port of Sandwich in the 14th century, was an independant Parish until it combined with St Nicholas at Wade in 1966. Sarre is located at the point where the old 'Island Road' from Margate to Canterbury crossed the Wansum Channel, originally by ferry and then from the Middle Ages by bridge. The route of this bridge is followed by a short section of the modern A28 and is still marked on some maps as 'Sarre Wall'.The village has a pretty windmill which is only now viewable from the outside.
St Nicholas at Wade & Sarre Parish Council is both a village and a civil parish in the Thanet District of Kent.If all councillors are in post, the Parish Council is made up of nine councillors, one of whom is elected Chair/Chairman for the year at the Annual Parish Meeting. Seven of the councillors represent St Nicholas-at-Wade and two represent Sarre. The Council has two part time employees, a Clerk / Responsible Finance Officer and a Handyman.The Parish council receives a precept which forms part of the Council Tax and some additional support payments from Thanet District Council to undertake the functions and it carries out in St Nicholas-at-Wade and Sarre. Various Local Government Acts give the Parish Council a wide range of powers to carry out these functions which include the management of allotments, burial grounds, public seats, memorials, provision of a village hall, playground, recreation and sports facilities and consultation on highways and planning matters. Click here to view a full list of functions and powers.The Council owns the Pavilion in Bell Meadow with management of that facility delegated to the Wantsum Community & Sports Association. The Council also holds the deeds to the Village Hall in trust on behalf of the Village Hall CIO who manage that facility. One councillor sits on each of these Committees to represent the Parish Council’s interests.