ACTIVAGE is an EU-funded scheme led by Samsung. The project is being trialled in Shropshire in partnership with Shropshire Council, and aims to see how everyday technology such as smart watches, smart phones and sensors can be used or adapted to support the health and social care needs of vulnerable people. People over the age of 55 who live in Shropshire and have a broadband connection are invited to apply. Those who care for people who fit this criterion can also apply on behalf of the person they care for. Those involved will receive a technology package worth over £600 that can help support people to stay independent, safe and active for longer, especially if their carers or family aren’t close by. This includes a free Samsung watch and smartphone which will be posted to individuals. Also included in the tech package are home sensors but due to the COVID-19 crisis, these will be issued later as they require installation. There is no cost to take part in this initiative and what’s great is that you get to keep all the equipment when you complete the scheme. For more information or to express your interest, whether for yourself or on behalf of someone else, please check details on the the ACTIVAGE website or contact email@example.com
Support for Carers
Last week was National Carers’ week and the theme this year was Making Carers Visible. While we can’t hold events for informal carers now, we have sent the carers we know of a postcard to say thank you, we recognise you and appreciate everything that you do. The postcard also gives details of support contact information. Information and support can be found here:
- Shropshire Choices, Information for carers during Coronavirus pandemic https://www.shropshire.gov.uk/shropshire-choices/caring-for-someone-else/information-for-carers-during-the-coronavirus-pandemic/
- Shropshire Council First Point of Contact – 0345 678 9044 between 8.45am to 5.00pm Mon – Thurs and 8.45am to 4.00pm Friday.
- Crossroads Together Information line – 01743 341995 between 9am to 5pm Mon to Fri
- Taking Part, Independent Service for people with Learning Disabilities – email: firstname.lastname@example.org or via their Facebook page
- A4U, in partnership with STACS, Shropshire Autism Hub - 01743 539201 or email: email@example.com
- CloudLibrary: Shropshire’s CloudLibrary is available for borrowers to download e-books and e-audio books. CloudLibrary works in the same way as a physical library so once one person ‘takes out’ a book it is not available for anyone else to borrow. We share our e-library with other library authorities providing lots of choice, if a title belonging to Shropshire libraries is on loan you will be able to place a hold on it (request it). To access CloudLibrary, all you need is your library card number and PIN.
- e-Magazines on RBdigital: Read full digital copies of your favourite magazines, for free, with our RBdigital e-Magazine Service.
- e-Newspapers and e-Magazines on PressReader: Access over 2000 e-newspapers and e-magazines, including most of the UK national papers, through Library PressReader.Shropshire Libraries Reading Group Facebook Page: We would also encourage those users that are on Facebook to join the Shropshire Libraries Reading Group page. Members of this group frequently discuss titles that they have been reading and offer recommendations to others.
- Shropshire Libraries You Tube channel especially Books Aloud and Memory Corner (for people living with Dementia) - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJXSGNRknFIQbBOSXeno4A
- Libraries from Home Helpful links to keep well, discover, learn and imagine for you and your family - https://www.shropshire.gov.uk/libraries/libraries-from-home/
- For non-members: Do you know someone who would like to become a member of Shropshire Libraries? If so, please forward this email; it's easy to join and they will immediately be able to use our e-library services.