Swinton Community Group
Swinton Village, Ryedale,North Yorkshire
This is the community website for Swinton Village Located in the Howardian Hills
Ryedale, North Yorkshire.
In these pages we will post reports from the various Clubs and Organisations within the Parish. Parish Events, and on line Copies of the Parish Newsletter will also be available here.
Swinton is a village lying 2 miles to the North East of Malton on the B1257; this road divides the village
with local amenities on both sides of it.Swinton is fortunate to have a thriving village pub, the Blacksmith Arms and a butcher’s shop and store, Hornsey Meats, both family run.
Swinton is a village and civil parish in the Ryedale district of North Yorkshire, England. The village appears in the Domesday Book as Swintune (11th Century) and the first historical records for Swinton date to the medieval period with charters as early as the eleventh century surviving, which record the land holdings. In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Swinton like this: SWINTON, a township in Appletonle-Street parish, N. R. Yorkshire; 2¼ miles W by N of New Malton. Acres, 1,200. Real property, £1,751. Pop., 381. Houses, 91. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The environment of Swinton Parish is the sum of many features, both natural and man-made.The southern half of the parish lies within the Howardian Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Designated in 1987 this area is a rich mixture of woodland, pasture and arable farmland interspersed with small villages such as Swinton. The area has a wide diversity of trees, wild flowers and animals and contains important key species of brown hare, lapwing,skylark, cowslip, dwarf spurge and knapweed broomrape.A small network of footpaths within the Parish give access to this natural countryside.