Covid19 Lockdown Projects
Since the Covid-19 lock commenced on Monday 23rd March 2020 unfortunately RWB Shed members have like most organisations been unable to meet. This however has not completed stopped activities of our Shed members being carried out at home in isolation. Some of these activities are detailed below:
Garden Trug: See more details in this News article
Jubilee Lake Tea Rooms Signage: See more details in this News article
Phil's outdoor bar project: See more details in this News article
Referring to the article, the same resident for the bar also asked if we could make a chopping board for fruit for drinks, etc.
"Any old plank will do" was the comment made by the client. Hah! Any old plank indeed!
The client provided a photo of the sort of board required so using some cedar and lots of food grade mineral oil, Phil completed the board.
Albi's cake stand: Made from roofing slates
Steve's Cedar planter: One of two
James' patio: During Lockdown etc, we decided to make use of the recent good weather and do something about our neglected rear garden as the paving hadn’t been cleaned for over 20 years. So out came the jet wash and away we went starting on the top level by the garage and greenhouse, well not quite, I could only manage 1/2 hour spurts. Then after a recovery break off we went again. Eventually as you can see, job done slabs and walls all cleaned. The first two pics show how bad it was before. Of course it’s not finished yet. Having to regrout the slabs using dry and/or wet mortar mix as the jet wash flushed a lot out. Also have to refix the wall cappings. Well guys and girls nightmare nearly over. Grouting done and capping fixed using exterior No Nails glue. Must say looks pretty good, although I say it myself Job Well Done. Now where’s the patio chair and Southern Comfort cocktails?
Albi's Garden and workshop
Albi's Glass Door project: See more details in this News article
Albi's Garden chair renovation project: See more details in this News article
Phil's planters: At the head of our drive are grass verges bounded by brick parapets. This means it's very difficult to cut the grass and especially when the daffodils are finished it looks untidy. So, 'she who must be obeyed' suggested paving the areas I can't get to and placing planters there with the daffodils and/or summer bedding. I said "that's a good idea" and she said "so build the planters"!! As if I hadn't got enough to do already…..
So from reclaimed timber, I built the planters.
The new planters are in position at the head of the drive and planted with summer bedding that should display nicely when they mature.
Late April 2020
Racking for garage roof. As part of my garage sort out, made a rack for the garage ceiling. Gave me a bit more space for other clutter down below! It’s surprising how much extra room it gives you.
Bird cage/feeder. Was getting fed up with the bigger birds nicking all the food so came up with this bird cage with bars hopefully just big enough for the smaller birds to get through. Haven’t put it out yet but will do soon.
2 x outdoor seats renovated. I was given 4 iron ends for 2 benches a while ago. With the summer weather and lockdown, it was now time to start. Wire brushed off and repainted with Hammerite. Pre-treated wooden slats from B&Q, various stainless-steel bolts and washers and job done. Re-slatted (is that a word?)
Wall mounted bottle opener. Seen a couple on people’s walls before lockdown so ordered 2 openers. 1 wall mount complete, 1 to go. The second will be bigger and incorporate a game within it.
Plane. Bought this a couple of years ago but like some things, got put in a cupboard. Found again and completed. No test flight as yet as I keep putting my finger through the tissue. It’s a bit fragile…
Another bottle opener. Haven't tried it yet but the idea is that when the bottle top is taken off, it drops though the pins into one of the receptacles at the bottom. Who knows which one? Just need to add numbers or something at the bottom. The front Perspex slips up in grooves to allow it to be emptied.
Seat and steps. Needed something for in the garage when working at a seated height. They convert from a seat to steps by lifting up and flipping over 1 side of the top. Also put a stabiliser at the back as it was too rocky when standing on it. OK now though.
Early April 2020
I've finished the project I had started at the shed and have enclosed a photo. It was an interesting experiment, not entirely successful though, OK if you don't look too closely, and at the end of the day I learned from it, particularly that for something like this you need to get the angles just right otherwise you get unwanted gaps when you put it together.
I'm now looking forward to us all getting together again & trying something a bit more ambitious.
Meanwhile I'm continuing to get the garden sorted now the weather has improved.
Allotment bench by Albi: See more details in this News article (updated on 17th May 2020)
3 tier planter by Phil: See more details in this News article
This was a very old stool, it had been out in the rain next door for years with bad deterioration and the seat was in two parts. Now it's a stool for me in my shed. Stay well everyone.