Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

Waste Bin Garden Planter

A resident in Royal Wootton Bassett, asked John Loran, one of our shed members, if we could repair her Waste Bin Garden Planter. She had been given it 40yrs ago by a family friend who is sadly no longer with us. Our ‘client' wanted to preserve the memory, but the bin had gotten into very bad condition, with the wood heavily rotten and the bolts rusted.

John had to use an angle grinder to remove the bolts and kept the best slat as a template to cut new ones.

Albi  found a nice block of mahogany and Phil used the table saw to cut correctly sized strips. Using Using the bench circular sander, I shaped the tips and smoothed the sides for each of the 14 pieces. 

The metal-work was galvanised and still in good condition, so I cleaned it thoroughly and gave it a coat of hammerite grey paint.

Marine varnish brought out the beautiful wood grain and gave a high-gloss finish. A trip to the ever useful High Street shop, Rouse’s, secured 14 nuts and bolts of the correct size. Half way through re-assembly, I realised my schoolboy error and returned to Rouse’s for a further 14 nuts and bolts!

The owner was delighted with the result and the bin is now back in pride of place in her garden.