Twyford Bowls Club, Hampshire
Full story of the club
Twyford Bowls and Lawn Tennis Club was initiated in 1901 by a group of local residents who bought the last two building plots in Roman Rd. Twyford. The initial cost of setting up was approximately £200 which was borrowed from the bank at 2.5% interest.
From The Hampshire Chronicle 1902:
The Twyford Bowls and Lawn Tennis ground was officially opened by Mr. E. Beckett-Faber MP. Introduced by Mr.H.C. Pitcher and met by around 50 ladies and gentlemen, he formally declared the grounds open. Mr. Pilcher presented him with a coin of the period of Emperor Antonious 120AD which had been found on the site. Games then commenced.
History Work in progress....