Ok, I understand
Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. For more information, please see our privacy policy.
Skip to main content

Wolsingham Parish Council

Civil Crisis Management

Civil Crisis Management in Wolsingham and Thornley

In any life-threatening emergency, always dial 999 and the appropriate emergency services will respond.

If a lesser crisis arises, you should follow this plan, to minimise harm or risk to yourself and others.

What is a ‘crisis’?

This plan was made after prolonged power cuts in 2015, which resulted in many people being without heating or cooking facilities. Other events might include water leakages, flooding, gas explosion or gas supply failure, house fires, extreme weather (cold, heat-wave, storms) etc.

This procedure can be used in any situation where you think that risk exists. Risk might for instance be localised (e.g. local power loss in one street or district) or regional (e.g. destructive gales or rainfall) but our responses will be localised to the specific area.


“Being a good neighbour is all that is needed in most instances”.

When a crisis arises, checking with others nearby as to how they are managing is the first essential step. You can do this at any time, and only then you will know whether a crisis exists. Assume the no-one else has checked. If you need help for yourself, use these contacts (below) to ask for help.

You need to be aware that neighbours who are ill, infirm, confused or isolated may be vulnerable in situations which most of us can deal with. Also at risk may be babies and children, and parents who have limited resources or no family support. You need to check that they are managing, and offer help if needed.

What resources do we have?

If the situation is beyond your own capacity and needs coordination, the parish council have a ‘telephone tree’ list of contacts, so that an action group can be set up. The Town Hall is a central location for any meeting or consultation, and the Wolsingham Parish Council website can be used for sharing information (www.wolsinghamparishcouncil.uk)

Wolsingham has good community facilities, if shelter and warmth are an issue. Wolsingham School is the biggest and best equipped, also the Town Hall, St Anne’s Centre, Methodist Hall, Primary School, Thornley Village Hall, can be used if they were needed.

How do I start a community response?

The first contact to mobilise a crisis response action group could be ANY OF;

Gordon Dobson (clerk to the Parish Council) 01388 526 826 or 07398 666 309

David Sugden (Chair of the Parish Council) 01388 527 930 or 07703 271 079

Anita Savory (County Councillor / Parish Councillor) 01388 527 954 or 07867 852 778

Jane Henderson (Parish Councillor/ Key-holder) 01388 526 382 or 07854 736 954

Any of these can then ‘cascade’ the message using the contact tree. They will contact other local ‘volunteers’ in your area, as needed.

What should you do next?

The response will be ‘localised’ to your own street or postcode, so that you will know and be known by those whom you help or are helped by. The persons responding to your concern may contact you for details.

This is a voluntary arrangement; you can help if you wish. A list of local ‘volunteer helpers’ who are willing to be involved is held by the Parish Council. You may add your name by contacting Gordon Dobson on 526 826.

What more do you need to do?

You may like to prepare for any eventuality by;

  • Having a secondary heating and cooking system in your home.
  • Keeping emergency lighting always ready (torch, candles etc)
  • Ensuring the essential documents are kept together in a safe place
  • Having a battery-powered radio available to hear local news or plans.
  • Conserving water if supplies are threatened (by drought or burst mains).
  • Having 2-3 days of emergency food always in stock
  • Keeping a ‘wired’ telephone available for use in case of power loss
  • Recording your personal numbers below.


Useful contact numbers:

Public Numbers:

Electricity Emergency/Power cuts 0800 66 88 77

Gas emergency 0800 111 999

Northumbria water 0800 328 7648

Environment Agency 0800 80 70 60

NHS 24    111

DCC  All Services 03000 260000

Social Care Direct  08458 50 50 10

DCC Civil Contingencies Unit  03000 264 637

Floodline   0345 988 11 88