How to change DNS settings in 1&1
The following guide is intended for website owners whose domains are hosted by 1&1
If you’d like to make it even easier for visitors to find your HugoFox page you can connect it to your own domain name. Below is a simple, step by step, guide to configuring your domain name so it links to your new HugoFox website.
If you do not feel confident enough to make DNS changes yourself, please get in touch with us, and we'll happily assist you with any changes.
[For privacy reasons, certain parts of images in this guide have been blurred. This will not affect the updating of your settings in any way.]
1. Login to your control panel by clicking on the login button at the top of the page:
2. Enter your login details: 1&1 will allow you either to enter an account number, your web address, or the username you specified when you signed up as your customer ID. If you can’t remember your login details, click on the “Forgot your password?” link below the login box to reset your password.
3. You will now be in your account area:
4. From this page, click on Domains
5. You will now be in the domain area, where you can edit your domain:
6. From here, click on "Subdomains"
7. Next, click on "Add Subdomain"
8. This will now bring up a box where you can add a subdomain.
9: In the empty box that appears, type www and click on "Save":
10. The sub domain will now be listed on your screen. From here, click on the three vertical dots to the right of the subdomain, and click on "Advanced Settings":
11. This will bring up a settings page:
12: From this menu, select "DNS Settings"
13. Click on "CNAME" and in the box labelled "Alias" type cname-customsite.hugofox.com. Once you have done this, you will need to click on the tickbox below to confirm you wish to make the changes, and then press the blue "Save" button. Your changes will then be saved.
Now the next part...
Once you have made the changes, simply get in touch with us, and we’ll make the necessary changes at our end to finalise the transfer of your domain name!
Please keep in mind that the changes you have just made will take anything between 24 and 72 hours to be fully configured, so don’t be worried if you cannot see your website yet.
Once your domain name has gone live, we advise that you deactivate your existing website from your server if you have one. This will ensure that your new HugoFox site appears in search engines rather than your previous site. If you would like any assistance with this, please get in touch with us.
We have tried to make this guide as simple as possible. However, if you have any questions about this process, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us, and we’ll do our best to help you with your queries.
DEACTIVATING YOUR PREVIOUS 1&1 HOSTING
1. Log in to your 1&1 Contract Page.
2. Click on Cancellation at the top of the Home page.
3. Select the package that contains the domain/additional item you would like to cancel.
4. Under Your cancellation options, select Individual domains/additional items. Click Next.
5. Mark the domain/additional item you want to cancel (A). Select a Cancellation option (B). Under Cancel On, select when the domain/additional items must be cancelled (C).
6. Repeat these selections for any other domains/features you want to cancel. Then click Next (D).
7. Review the summary of your cancellation and click Confirm. If some change is necessary, click Back instead.
8. The selected domain(s)/feature(s) will be cancelled and a confirmation message will be sent to the e-mail address you entered in the Control Panel.