How to change DNS settings in names.co.uk
The following guide is intended for website owners whose domains are hosted by names.co.uk
If you’d like to make it even easier for visitors to find your HugoFox page you can connect it to your own domain name. Below is a simple, step by step, guide to configuring your domain name so it links to your new HugoFox website.
If you do not feel confident enough to make DNS changes yourself, please get in touch with us, and we'll happily assist you with any changes.
[For privacy reasons, certain parts of images in this guide have been blurred. This will not affect the updating of your settings in any way.]
1. Login to names.co.uk by clicking on the “Log In” link at the top of the page:
A login box will appear directly below the link you have just clicked. Enter your login details and press “Log In”. If you can’t remember your login details, click on the “Forgotten your password?” link below the login box to reset your password.
2. Once you are logged in, click on “Control Panel”:
You will now see this page:
3. Select “DNS Administration” from the menu on the left hand side of the page:
4. You will now see a list of domains that you have on this account. Click on the domain name you want to make changes to:
5. On the page that loads you will see a section called “Activate advanced DNS”. Select the checkbox accepting responsibility for changing the DNS settings and click “Activate”:
You’ll now be on the advanced DNS settings page.
6. Click on “Add A/CNAME Records”:
Several blank fields will appear on the page above the button you have selected:
7. Select the first completely blank row, labelled “3”:
8. In the “Host name” box type: www
9. Click the down arrow in the “Type” column and select “CNAME”
10. In the “Result” field type: cname-customsite.hugofox.com
11. At the bottom of the page click Save to complete the changes.
Now the next part...
Once you have made the changes, simply get in touch with us, and we’ll make the necessary changes at our end to finalise the transfer of your domain name!
Please keep in mind that the changes you have just made will take anything between 24 and 72 hours to be fully configured, so don’t be worried if you cannot see your website yet.
Once your domain name has gone live, we advise that you deactivate your existing website from your server if you have one. This will ensure that your new HugoFox site appears in search engines rather than your previous site. If you would like any assistance with this, please get in touch with us.
We have tried to make this guide as simple as possible. However, if you have any questions about this process, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us, and we’ll do our best to help you with your queries.
DEACTIVATING YOUR PREVIOUS NAMES.CO.UK HOSTING ACCOUNT
Once you are logged into your Online Control Panel you should click on Domain Names from the top left corner.
You will then see a list of your domains in the centre of the page so click on the one that you wish to remove from your Multi Domain Hosting package.
Click on Modify Hosting Package from the left hand menu.
Click on the Delete icon at the bottom of the page.