ALERT! Kent resident targeted by banking scam
Darenth Parish Council
A resident in Kent was targeted by criminals, claiming there was fraud on their bank account.
- You receive a text saying they are from Barclays Bank.
- There appears to be fraud on your bank account.
- Fraudsters will call you, using a Barclays Bank telephone number.
- You are instructed to move your money to another account to keep it safe.
- The caller will tell you which account to transfer your money to.
What to do:
- This is a SCAM - banks will never tell you to transfer money into a 'safe account'
- The caller is using 'phone spoofing' - this is when scammers change their caller ID to another number.
- Call 159 to speak directly to your banks fraud department.
- Make sure your line is cleared before dialling, or use another phone. The scammer may stay on the line to trick you further.
- Fallen for this scam? Contact your bank immediately.
Get free advice from Consumer Advice Scams Advisor on 0808 223 1133.
Please warn family members, friends and neighbours.
# Information Source: Kent County Council Public Protection
- 01474 707030
Find Darenth Parish Council
Darenth Hall, Ladywood Road, Darenth, Dartford, Kent, DA2 7LL