Kickstart 2018 with the West Kent Challenge
KNOCKHOLT PARISH COUNCIL
Residents looking to lose some holiday weight or get their New Year fitness regime off to a sprint start are in luck, as Sevenoaks District Council launches 12 free workshops helping people to take up running.
The West Kent Challenge ‘Couch to 5k’ aims to get residents walking or running up to 5k in just 12 weeks with workshops led by professional running coach Shona Campbell across the District.
The workshops last for two hours and include advice, information and practical demonstrations and there is no need to book, simply just turn up.
Workshops are for residents over 18 and include physical exercise, so appropriate clothing and footwear is advised.
Sevenoaks District Council Cabinet Member for Housing and Health, Cllr Michelle Lowe, says: “If exercise could be packaged and prescribed as a pill, doctors swear it would be magic medicine. Exercise is not only great for our mental wellbeing including preventing or at least delaying the onset of dementia; it makes us happier by releasing certain chemicals in our brains that dull pain, lighten mood and relieve stress to amazing physical benefits.
"Great improvements start to happen to our bodies after only a short amount of exercise which is why 'Couch to 5k' is a great way to shed that extra Christmas weight and start the new year focussed on our overall wellbeing. So whether you are used to regular exercise and need a bit more motivation or have not done any exercise for years, these workshops are for you."
Residents can visit www.sevenoaks.gov.uk/westkentchallenge for all details, which are also below, and can like the Facebook page by searching ‘WKchallengecouchto5k’.
• Westerham Sports Association, King George’s Playing Field, Costells Meadow, Westerham, TN16 1BN
Monday 22 January 2018, 1.30pm to 3.30pm
• Seal Village Hall, Seal, Sevenoaks TN15 0BD
Monday 22 January 2018, 6pm to 8pm
• West Kingsdown Pavilion, London Road, West Kingsdown TN15 6BZ
Thursday 25 January 2018, 1.30pm to 3.30pm
• New Ash Green Village Hall, Centre Road, New Ash Green DA3 8HH
Friday 26 January 2018, 2pm to 4pm
• Swanley White Oak Leisure Centre, Hilda May Avenue, Swanley, BR8 7BT
Sunday 28 January 2018, 10am to 12pm
• Horton Kirby and South Darenth Village Hall (Jubilee Hall), Horton Road, South Darenth, SAT NAV post code DA4 9AZ
Monday 29 January 2018, 1.30pm to 3.30pm
• Edenbridge Leisure Centre, Stangrove Park, Edenbridge, TN8 5LU
Thursday 1 February 2018, 10am to 12pm
• Otford – Venue TBC
Thursday 1 February 2018, 1.30pm to 3.30pm
• Chiddingstone Causeway Village Hall, Tonbridge Road, TN11 8JS
Friday 2 February 2018, 1.30pm to 3.30pm
• Sevenoaks Leisure Centre, Buckhurst Lane, Sevenoaks, TN13 1LW
Sunday 4 February 2018, 10am to 12pm
• Hextable Village Hall, College Road, Hextable, BR8 7LT
Sunday 4 February 2018, 2pm to 4pm
• Shoreham Village Hall, High Street, Shoreham
Thursday 8 February 2018, 1.30pm to 3.30pm
Issued by: Owen Thompson, Communications Officer
Call: 01732 227309
Find KNOCKHOLT PARISH COUNCIL
Knockholt, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN14 7LD
If you wish to make an enquiry or booking of the Village Centre Hall please contact email@example.com who is the Booking Secretary.